Politically correct warriors

Off-Topic Discussion
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Politically correct warriors

Post by MarkG88 »

Since we have an "Iron Knight" (aka Garland :wink: ) I thought I'd post this article from strategypage.com.

-Mark

THE WAY THINGS REALLY WORK: Politically Correct Call Signs

October 24, 2007: U.S. Army combat units headed for Iraq have been advised to be sensitive to Iraqis, in order to avoid making anymore enemies than they already have over there. So one unit headed there, the 1/35 Armor (1st battalion of the 35th armored regiment) will change its call sign from “Conqueror” to “Iron Knight.” It was felt that the word “Conqueror” might be misinterpreted by Iraqis. Actually, it’ not the Iraqis that officers worry about in situations like this, it’s U.S. journalists who, on a slow news day, might round up a few English speaking Iraqis and get them to complain about the American tank battalion that refers to themselves as “Conqueror.” Oh, the horror. Especially when this stuff reaches Congress, and the incident is brought up when the army asks for money.

The 1/35's call sign is actually derived from the unit motto; “Vincere Vel Mori,” (Conquer or Die). In a further twist, the unit previously used the call sign “Iron Knights” for decades, until nine years ago. At that time, there was an army reorganization, and the 1/35th found itself in the same division with an aviation units that also used “Iron Knights” as a call sign. So the 1/35th changed to “Conquerors.” But now the aviation unit is gone, and “Iron Knights” is available again.

Just in case you were wondering. Now you know.
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

<sigh> Don't they have enough to worry about? Sheesh!
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Charles Lewis wrote:<sigh> Don't they have enough to worry about? Sheesh!
Its a 24/7 news cycle and journalists (especially tv ones) always take the easy (lazy) way out. I'm a former newspaper guy myself (15+ years mostly as local sportswriter but I did general news reporting and features for county paper for a few years too) so I'm way too cynical about the news media in general having seen it on the inside.
Kivlor
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Kivlor »

I bet Garland is chuckling to himself as he reads this :D

I'm going to have to listen to him talk about the great 1/35 Armor "Iron Knights" at all of our gaming stuff on the weekends.

J/K Garl :wink:
--John
Admiral Manard
The Glorious God-Emperor, Lord Makaze Daisuke
Iron Knight
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Knight »

Haha! Awsome.
Garland

Prepare today for the demands of tomorrow. Plan your move. - Fortune Cookie Nov. 6
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Kivlor wrote:I bet Garland is chuckling to himself as he reads this :D

I'm going to have to listen to him talk about the great 1/35 Armor "Iron Knights" at all of our gaming stuff on the weekends.

J/K Garl :wink:
Sorry to 'throw fuel on the fire" Kivlor hehe, but I had to post it. :wink:
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Iron Knight wrote:Haha! Awsome.

Glad you liked it. :D