Origins 2009

Off-Topic Discussion
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Origins 2009

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Jay and I will be at Origins this Friday and Saturday, if all goes according to plan. Anyone that wants to meet up, just let us know and we can try to schedule an impromptu get together. My cell number is 1-307-340-8171 in case anyone wants to try ringing us up while we're there.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

Crap! I wish that I would have seen this prior to the convention. It was awesome that you stopped by to say hello, but I was so disappointed that I didn't get to hang out with you guys longer (thanks for the freebies!

Perhaps at Gencon?
-Bren
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

jygro wrote:Crap! I wish that I would have seen this prior to the convention. It was awesome that you stopped by to say hello, but I was so disappointed that I didn't get to hang out with you guys longer (thanks for the freebies!

Perhaps at Gencon?
-Bren
It was nice to meet you as well Bren. Tyrel and I were in a hurry since we really only had two full days at the convention but your BSG game looked great! Now that I have a handle on how things go I would probably have signed up to play.

I am still quite tired. I should have slept more yesterday, and not reorganized the garage.

GenCon is a possibility next year, but not this year unfortunately.

-Jay
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

jygro wrote:Crap! I wish that I would have seen this prior to the convention. It was awesome that you stopped by to say hello, but I was so disappointed that I didn't get to hang out with you guys longer (thanks for the freebies!

Perhaps at Gencon?
-Bren
We had actually stopped by earlier, but it was right after we had gotten our badges and you had just started your event, so we decided to just stop back in later and drop off the swag. It was good to meet up with you, and next year we will definitely have to have a meet-up event at Origins. I am already planning on how we could setup a VBAM game, too, at next year's con.

Origins 2009 was my first convention, so it has given me some idea of what to expect for future cons. I don't think I will be at GenCon this year, though next year it will be a distinct possibility.

From your perspective, Bren, which convention has a better draw of sci-fi gamers? Is Gencon better than Origins for that? It seemed to me that Origins is morphing into a boardgaming convention as opposed to the tactical minis focus it allegedly had during the old Babylon 5 Wars days (late 90s). Is that a good read of the trends there?
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
Chyll
Commander
Commander

Post by Chyll »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:
From your perspective, Bren, which convention has a better draw of sci-fi gamers? Is Gencon better than Origins for that? It seemed to me that Origins is morphing into a boardgaming convention as opposed to the tactical minis focus it allegedly had during the old Babylon 5 Wars days (late 90s). Is that a good read of the trends there?
I'm not Bren (just for clarity's sake), but I'll chime in having attended both more than once.

Origins has a reputation of being a more 'historical' gamers' con, though it has seemed board/card game heavy the last couple I attended.

GenCon has generally appeared more balanced to me - equal parts cards, board, historical, RPG, scifi, etc...

OTOH, Origins feels less commercial and more about the games then GenCon.
No man is wise enough by himself.
- Plautus
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

Tyrel Lohr wrote: We had actually stopped by earlier, but it was right after we had gotten our badges and you had just started your event, so we decided to just stop back in later and drop off the swag. It was good to meet up with you, and next year we will definitely have to have a meet-up event at Origins. I am already planning on how we could setup a VBAM game, too, at next year's con.
I would love to run a "Homeworld"-like game using Starmada rules. Of course, using the VBAM system along with that homeworld idea might be a fun effect! Perhaps we should conspire for next Origins?

-Bren