Drag Me to Hell (since this is post 666)

Off-Topic Discussion
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Drag Me to Hell (since this is post 666)

Post by MarkG88 »

I caught the Sam Raimi (and family lol) movie "Drag me to Hell" because: I like Sam's movies and sense of humor, and I had this dubious post looming over my head.

It was a short, wild, fun ride. If you liked Army of Darkness, you'll like this. Drag Me is a tad darker though I must say and the pixie sized Alison Lohman did a fine job as the cursed bank loan officer (how timely can you get?).

I really did enjoy telling the movie ticket teller girl "Drag me to Hell" (said with evil grin of course) :twisted: I'm a regular at my local movie plex so she knows of me and she replied "I don't think I want to do that. Long journey and I don't like the final stop." I replied "we'll you don't have to stay you know."

Unrelated tangent: I saw and liked and plan on seeing again the Star Trek reboot. It inspired me to revist the original series (TOS) on dvd. I rewatched season one and I must say they captured the spirit and FUN aspect that was the heart of original Trek.

Another tanget, related to last one......the "red shirt curse" seems slightly overrated in season one anyhow. I didn't keep an actual tally of KIAs but gold shirts seemed to have a slight edge over red and blue. I think Kirk's girl friend in "Mirror, Mirror" zapped the first two red shirts to die....need to rewatch and confirm.

So now all things Trek are new and shiny again (I have always liked the show and most of the spinoffs and movies).
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

I saw the Star Trek remake over the weekend and I must say that it was imaginative, fun and actually had a 'plausable' plot! It was great and I hope that this will spark new life for movies and series...

-Bren
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

My wife and I hardly get out to movies anymore - price of having small kids! BUT having seen Star Trek, we managed to engineer a second viewing. That should say a lot about how much we enjoyed it.

Sure, it had plot holes big enough to drive the Entrprise through, but the overall story is presented well enough that I just didn't care.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Charles Lewis wrote:My wife and I hardly get out to movies anymore - price of having small kids! BUT having seen Star Trek, we managed to engineer a second viewing. That should say a lot about how much we enjoyed it.

Sure, it had plot holes big enough to drive the Entrprise through, but the overall story is presented well enough that I just didn't care.
I agree and I'm very impressed you've got to see it twice with your busy schedule, I'm still working on my second viewing lol. :lol:
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I went with my father and a friend down to Torrington to see it last week (or was it the week before?). While waiting for the movie to start, we realized that we hadn't been to that movie theater in about ten years -- the last movie we watched there was Phantom Menace, I think.

Star Trek was okay, I guess. I liked Chekov, but other than that... it was all "meh" at best. If I had to rate the movie, I would give it a 4.5 or 5.0, just very average. The fast cuts and continual action were jarring, and by the end I was ready to shove the lens flares down JJ Abraham's throat. I am glad I saw the movie, because now I know what the movie is about (don't have to worry about missing out on it) and now I know that I can give any future Trek movies a pass and catch them on DVD or Netflix.

I do have to add the caveat that I encountered "The Two Towers" syndrome mid-movie, and spent half the film feeling like I was going to puke. I had the same feeling when the oliphants arrived in LOTR, but luckily I got over it by the time I got home (I wasn't so lucky with LOTR). That might be coloring my opinion of the movie a bit.

Going to see Star Trek did remind me me why I don't really like movies, or more specifically the movie-going experience. Unless you are lucky enough to hit a movie late-run in a nearly empty theater, you get to contend with people getting up and moving, heads obscuring the screen, cellphones constantly going off, etc. -- it is distracting. The 2-3 hour round trip travel time to get to a theater and back, too, just isn't worth it.

That all being said, I know I am not this movie's demographic. I didn't care for the TNG movies at all, either, and the only movie I have ever watched that I would have turned around and went to see again was "Contact" -- a movie a lot of people seem to hate.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

I don't know what it is, but I've never really enjoyed a Star Trek movie. I enjoy B5 movies immensely (River of Souls is the exception that proves the rule--I never really enjoyed the concept of the Soul Hunters), but I can never really get into the whole Star Trek movie thing. Most of them seem like a plot for a standard episode drawn out to two hours or more, and it always seems to make me depressed half-way through...
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it