Babylon 5 Wars WC question

Off-Topic Discussion
mort2018confed
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Babylon 5 Wars WC question

Post by mort2018confed »

After the topic of B5W to VBAMSX was raised, I've been looking at my B5W, Babcom and Great Machine files and noticed that, unfortunately, while I have the Wing Commander ships, I don't have the rules for the Phase Shields. Can anyone summarise them for me? I'm guessing that the first number might be an armour rating, just based on other B5W rules that look similar, but.../shrugs
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 Wars WC question

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Wow, uh, I'm not sure what those Phase Shields were doing! It looks like they originated with Dareith's Wing Commander conversion, but I have no idea what the split is meant to represent.

Maybe it is armor where the first value is against normal weapons and the second is against raking weapons?

I don't see any shield systems, so it might also be the regen amount.

Given that Dareith's website is long gone, I'm not sure there is any way of knowing how those were being used. :(
mort2018confed
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mort2018confed »

Sooo...yeah. I asked the question because I looked in the Confed zip file, the Kilrathi zip file and the Border Worlds zip file from the B5W Vault. I, of course, also checked the Civilian zip file before posting. No-one would be stupid enough to post before checking ALL the relevant zip files, right? Right?!?

So, um, yeah...
mort2018confed
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mort2018confed »

To give a quick summary:

First figure is the total damage a shield can absorb. The second figure is like armour in that you subtract that value from each volley. The third figure is how much damage a shield can absorb from each volley. I remember that raking weapons have the effect of the shields taken BEFORE the rakes are assigned, so a HLC hitting for 41 damage against a shield with figures 40/6/10 (not an actual shield, but for example) would have 6 damage negated, 10 absorbed and would then have 25 damage split into 2 10pt rakes and 1 5pt rake. That shield would then be able to take 30 more damage. Unfortunately, I am a bit under the weather at the moment, so am not firing on all cylinders ATM...
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Wow, I didn't even know there was another zip file somewhere. My copies of those are all loose in a folder without any rules or anything. Glad you found the explanation, though!