War on Terrror

Off-Topic Discussion
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

War on Terrror

Post by MarkG88 »

Here is article from strategypage.com newsletter today. I thought it was very informative and wanted to pass it along.

-Mark

TERRORISM: Then, Now and Later

December 22, 2007: It’s not been a good year for Islamic terrorism.
In Iraq, al Qaeda was crushed when the principal al Qaeda supporters,
the Sunni Arab minority, turned on the terrorists. Same thing happened,
to a lesser extent, in Afghanistan, where some of the pro-Taliban
tribes turned anti-al Qaeda, and killed hundreds of al Qaeda fighters. In
North Africa, defeated Algerian terrorist groups joined al Qaeda, and
tried to revive their revolution. This meant adopting the al Qaeda suicide
bomber tactics. While al Qaeda was able to do more than one bombing a
day (at their peak) in Iraq, and several a week in Afghanistan, the
Algerian branch averaged less than one a month. These attacks grabbed
headlines, but the public reaction was all wrong, for the terrorists. The
average Algerian saw dead Moslem women and children, and became even
more hostile to Islamic terrorism.

Saudi Arabia, which used to be (at least on September 11, 2001) where
al Qaeda had the most fans, has turned quite hostile to the group. A
recent poll showed only ten percent of Saudis approve of al Qaeda,
although 15 percent have high regard for Osama bin Laden. At the same time, 88
percent approved the governments counter-terrorism campaign. What this
demonstrates is that, while many, if not most, Arabs approve of terror
attacks on the West (which is popularly believed to be the cause of
all the Arab world’s ills, but that’s another subject), once they
have Islamic terrorists operating in their own country, they turn on the
terrorists. This has been going on since, well, forever. Some recent
examples were in the 1990s, when Islamic terrorism failed in Egypt and
Algeria. Now the tactic has failed in Iraq and Afghanistan, and is a flop
at making a comeback in Algeria.

Worse yet, for the terrorists, there have been no attacks in the U.S.
or Europe. There has been a lot of Islamic terrorist activity in Europe,
but that’s mainly because young Moslem men in Europe have
romanticized Islamic terrorists and created a popular new indoor sport. This
consists of frequenting pro-terrorist web sites (there are over 5,000 of
them out there), and sometimes gathering in person to talk about engaging
in Islamic terrorist acts. Counter-terror organizations in major
European countries believe that there are thousands (perhaps over 10,000) of
these wannabe terrorists who might get it together and actually
attempt an attack.

Al Qaeda is trying to shift resources to Pakistan, where it believes,
in cooperation with some pro-Taliban Pushtun and Baluchi tribes, it can
survive. Al Qaeda also believes that it has a shot at overthrowing the
Pakistani government, and gaining control of nuclear weapons. This is a
fantasy, as less than 20 percent of Pakistanis support Islamic
radicalism, and there are many factions. But al Qaeda is running out of
options. In the last seven hears it went from triumph (the September 11, 2001
attacks) to one disaster after another. Afghanistan was lost by the
end of 2001, and operations in Iraq turned the entire Islamic world
against al Qaeda. Pakistan has been a mixed success. Al Qaeda’s usual
suicide bomber tactics quickly turned most of the population against the
terrorists, but some of the Pushtun and Baluchi tribes along the Afghan
border kept the faith. This has changed in the past year, as some of
those tribes have tired of the foreigners (al Qaeda) and gone to war with
the terrorists. Despite all that, and major army offensives this year
against Islamic radicals in the tribal areas, al Qaeda’s position in
Pakistan is precarious. Years of al Qaeda attacks on senior Pakistani
officials, and suicide bombings that have killed hundreds of civilians,
has turned the government and population against the terrorists. There
are still terrorist supporters, but they are a minority, and have to be
alert to getting turned in by a neighbor, or even family.

The al Qaeda leadership is still hiding out in the Afghan border area,
and the declining al Qaeda support increases the chances of someone
going for the huge (up to $50 million) bounties on some of these guys.
Ironically, al Qaeda’s biggest hope is in Europe, where alienated young
Moslem men, many of whom were born in Europe, of immigrant parents (or
grandparents), and who have not witnessed terrorism up close, can
still afford to fantasize about it. Most of these guys are all talk and no
action, but the al Qaeda leadership, and the police, know that the odds
favor some of these kids getting motivated enough to pull off an
successful attack. In time, another five years or so, such terrorist
aspirations will no longer be fashionable, and no longer a threat. But that is
then, and this is now.
echoco
Commander
Commander

Post by echoco »

Sounds like the war on terrorsim is doing ok.

I wish there'd be more news about investigations and arrests of people bank rolling Al Qaeda though. You can never be too sure which on your friendly countries/businessmen are feeding money to Al Qeada.
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Nice article by American officer who served with Prince Harry during his tour in Afghanistan.

-Mark

http://www.strategypage.com/respect/art ... 008319.asp
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Austin Bay is a newspaper (and web) journalist, reserve army officer, and gamer. His recent column on the GWOT was worth a peek.

http://www.strategypage.com/on_point/2008040821227.aspx

-Mark
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

An informative article from New York Post about recent battle in Iraq fought and won by the Iraqi forces (with some air support from U.S.). Shows the progress Iraq is making and that, they are indeed committed to building a viable nation (for now at least).

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04102008/po ... htm?page=0
echoco
Commander
Commander

Post by echoco »

Good read, I mistaken Anaconda for the operation in Afghnistan, could he have chosen a different name? Boa, Viper, Python, grass snake????? :roll:
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

echoco wrote:Good read, I mistaken Anaconda for the operation in Afghnistan, could he have chosen a different name? Boa, Viper, Python, grass snake????? :roll:
LOL :lol: It's a West Point thing methinks. They still study the Civil War there and Winfield Scott's "Anaconda" strategy for defeating the South was no doubt the inspiration. Of course ironically Scott was a Virginian who remained loyal to the Union and was not a West Pointer but his legacy to the army remains.
echoco
Commander
Commander

Post by echoco »

Frpm Sgt Grit newsletter, I've read it somewhere before not sure where, i get confused easily these days might even be from a link from this forum -_-'
This is from Major General John Kelly, who is the Commanding General of the I Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), currently deployed in Iraq. It was written to his wife for distribution to all of the Camp Pendleton families of Marines serving in the Anbar region of Iraq. I think that you will find it an interesting and very rewarding read.

A Letter from Al Anbar
8 Feb 2008.

Well we've all arrived safe and sound, and have all but taken responsibility for our little piece of the Global war on Terrorism. The Economics and Governance (BG Wiley Post), Wing (BG Tex Alles), MLG (BG Bob Ruark), and GCE (BG Rich Mills) have already taken over, and I will complete the set and take the reins from my good friend MajGen Walt Gaskin tomorrow in a ceremony that will be attended by all the local gentry to include Generals Petraeus and Odnierno. There will also be sheiks from every tribe in the province, and the local civic leadership as well. If you count every soldier, sailor airmen and Marine in I MEF (Forward), or Multi-National Force - Iraq (MNF-I) as we will be know tomorrow, we are 33,000 strong, 25,000 of whom are Marines. Throw in the two Iraqi Army divisions and the police, and, well you get the point.

For most this is the first deployment to Iraq, but luckily we have a pretty good percentage that are second and even third time offenders to show the new folks how to settle in, find a rack and the mess hall, and deal with the desert. Nothing illustrates this better-the vets helping the "boots"-than last night when we had a series of resounding "booms" in the camp. The new guys sat bolt upright with eyes wide indicating their concern until the "old timers"-most in their late teens or early 20 of course-confidently settled the issue by declaring "out going," and everything went back to normal. The very good news is we will seldom hear booms of any kind as the province is a vastly different place than it was even a year ago. Dangerous still, but nothing like it was when any of us were here last. By the way the food is great, plenty of hot water, even for the grunts when can convince them to come in from patrol and ambush duties, and the temperatures are wonderfully cold, something we will all look back on nostalgically in May.

On a personal note I am privileged to be here, even if it is for the third lengthy tour, and I say this for a number of different reasons not the least of which is the opportunity to again serve with young Americans-the best of their generation-in combat. A second reason is there is no greater honor for any man or woman than to protect one's country in time of grave danger, while wearing the nation's cloth. Finally, I do not think there can be anything more gratifying on this earth for an American than to participate in the freeing of a people from the grip of a tyrant, then helping that same people realize the benefits of democracy. To actually exercise the God-given rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I have been away for three years. What I have found in the week I have been back can only be described as shocking. When I was here last dozens of IEDs detonated everyday in Al Anbar. Fire

fights were as common as IEDs, and mortar and rocket attacks a nightly routine. The emirs of al Qaeda and other equally murderous groups predicted our imminent defeat as they pursued a sick form of extremism no rational man or woman here, or anyplace else, could fathom. Many in our own country for any number of reasons began to lose faith-but the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines who fought our enemy to a standstill never doubted or wavered in their determination to win.

Several days ago I walked through the market section of Fallujah. It was bustling with Iraqis of all ages buying and selling products of every description. Adults waved, pressed forward to shake hands, and many like good businessmen everywhere tried to make a sale. Kids swarmed around the Marines trying out the few English words they have learned in schools that are all now open. Parents no longer fear to send their boys and girls to learn, a practice that under the extremists was often a death sentence. When I last visited that city it was the most dangerous place on earth. It was a gunfight going in, and a gunfight coming out everyday. The majority of the city's population lived in stark terror from the most evil men on the planet. It was the same then in Ramadi, Haditha, and all the way along the Euphrates River Valley to the Syrian border-but no longer. Like Fallujah the schools are open, markets thrive, and post-war recovery gains momentum across al Anbar.

This war is not won, but is being won and today primarily by the Iraqis themselves. Al Qaeda is not defeated, but it is on the ropes. Its membership knows that if they are foolish enough to come out of the holes they hide in, they will not only meet tough young Americans standing firm and unafraid, but also Iraqi police and soldiers in vastly increased numbers and effectiveness. Iraq is still a dangerous place, but nothing like it was only a short time ago. We should see this thing through because it's the right thing to do, the American thing to do, and we have the new "Greatest Generation" in just enough numbers willing to give up the comfort of their homes and defend us all while spreading freedom to a people who have never know it.

In closing, one of the things that strike me most at times of turnover like we are executing right now with II MEF (Forward) is the power of the Marine Corps. With one boot camp experience for every enlisted Marine regardless of gender or MOS making them all riflemen first, and one officer training experience at TBS making every second lieutenant an infantry platoon leader, again, first and regardless of eventual MOS, we are one huge family. The Iraqis say tribe, and that is how they view us. It doesn't matter what MEF or duty assignment we come from, we all speak the same language, hold the same views about service to country, and have the finest and most dedicated NCOs, SNCOs, and officers in the United States Armed Forces. We have families that support this craziness year after year, a sacrifice few Americans outside the Corps can even imagine. We also have a secret weapon upon which all else rests. Our weapon, the secret of who your loved ones are, is a spirit and an esprit that arms Marines of all ages with a willingness-no an enthusiasm-to go out into the dark and dangerous night and drive convoys to distant locations, fly aircraft through hostile skies, or patrol the streets bravely hunting the nation's enemies. We never worry about our backs, because other Marines and our precious Navy Docs are covering. We don't worry if we will be left behind and forgotten, because we all know Marines don't do that. It doesn't matter what foolishness we might hear in the newspapers or on TV about those who doubt the mission, we don't. So please stay together, stay engaged, and do not worry as we will watch out for each other here in Iraq, as you should support each other home in the States. Also, do not forget the legions of retired and former Marines who want to help in the worst way. We who serve today stand on their shoulders, and they will do anything for you. We thank you all for what you do, for your patience, and for your love.

Semper Fi
Kelly
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Great letter/article echco. My cousin's oldest boy recently finished his third tour in Iraq as a marine and conversations with him relate a similar picture of what is going on in Iraq from the "grunt's" point of view.

-Mark
echoco
Commander
Commander

Post by echoco »

A video of a bored marine from another news letter off topic but pretty funny

http://www.qubetv.tv/videos/detail/3483
echoco
Commander
Commander

Post by echoco »

An article about the future of US Army Special Forces, I think will effect hearts and minds quite a bit, even though I like the Marines I think the Army has the experience at doing this.

http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240, ... SRC=dod.nl