Off-Topic Discussion
ianstead
Commander
Commander

WW1 AFV

Post by ianstead »

Not sure how I got this link:

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/lebedenko_info.htm

Is that crazy? You know it give me ideas......
"Space is BIG, really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

You know, stuff like that gives me this growing itch to dive into Pulp gaming. :wink:
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

That was interesting Ian, thanks for passing along. I've never heard of that AFV before and I've read quite a bit on the subject.
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

Charles Lewis wrote:You know, stuff like that gives me this growing itch to dive into Pulp gaming. :wink:
What sort of Pulp?
"Space is BIG, really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

In general, Pulp gaming is skirmish-level minis, usually set in the 20s or 30s with lots of high adventure and a liberal dose of bizarre machines and superscience. Indiana Jones type stuff with mad scientists and the occassional tesla gun. ;)
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

Ah yes, the Tsar Tank. One of my favorite vehicles, simply due to it's oddity. If I ever get around to doing VSF armies the Russians are getting a couple of these as support.

-Will
"Ships and sail proper for the heavenly air should be fashioned. Then there will also be people, who do not shrink from the dreary vastness of space."
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Indeed! VSF (Victorian Sci-Fi) and Pulp are very similiar and often overlap. The Tsar Tank could serve ably in either setting. Of course, building one would be a challenge, but it would definitely look cool!
nimrodd
Commander
Commander

Post by nimrodd »

Looks kind of SteamPunkish to me.
Jimmy Simpson
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

nimrodd wrote:Looks kind of SteamPunkish to me.
I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. Some prominent exhaust pipes for the steam would all that need to be added.

In fact...it wouldn't look that out of place on the Warmachine battlefield.
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Charles Lewis wrote:
nimrodd wrote:Looks kind of SteamPunkish to me.
I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. Some prominent exhaust pipes for the steam would all that need to be added.

In fact...it wouldn't look that out of place on the Warmachine battlefield.
Yep, that big wheeled bad boy would look good on any of those type battlefields.
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

Well I don't Jay would have told you Charlie but I have a kink for all things Steampunk.

I like the pulp idea. I am not sure its really been done. Perhaps something that could cover 1889 upto 1939 sort of thing, with alternate and existing history.

You know I had this wierd idea for landships (landnauts, molenauts, seanauts, aeronauts etc) so huge that you can board one and attack it inside!
Bit of skirmish meets AFV game. Blame Michael Moorcock Land Leviathan.
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

Charles Lewis wrote:In general, Pulp gaming is skirmish-level minis, usually set in the 20s or 30s with lots of high adventure and a liberal dose of bizarre machines and superscience. Indiana Jones type stuff with mad scientists and the occassional tesla gun. ;)
I've been playing Indiana Jones and the Emperors Tomb. You know that sort of thing would make a cracking game. Bit like Dungeon bashing sort of thing but 1920s-40s. Think how you would turn Raiders of the Lost Ark into a skirmish - campaign. Throw in plot and abit of RPG as well..
mriddle
Commander
Commander

Post by mriddle »

ianstead wrote:
Charles Lewis wrote:In general, Pulp gaming is skirmish-level minis, usually set in the 20s or 30s with lots of high adventure and a liberal dose of bizarre machines and superscience. Indiana Jones type stuff with mad scientists and the occassional tesla gun. ;)
I've been playing Indiana Jones and the Emperors Tomb. You know that sort of thing would make a cracking game. Bit like Dungeon bashing sort of thing but 1920s-40s. Think how you would turn Raiders of the Lost Ark into a skirmish - campaign. Throw in plot and abit of RPG as well..
I really like GASLIGHT for that era..

GASLIGHT Battles for skirmish stuff..
Mike
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

ianstead wrote:
On the RPG side of things, here are two quasi related items: Grey Ghost Press, Inc has "Terra Incognita: The NAGS Society Handbook " which is a FUDGE based RPG set in the late 19th and early 20th century and Evil Hat Productions (I love their logo btw!) "Spirit of the Century" a pulp fiction FATE based RPG (a derivative of FUDGE) set in the 1900-1930s.

I've not played either (I've not RPGed in years), but as RPG settings they cover this period and looked interesting.
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

Savage Worlds does pulp, VSF, etc absolutely beautifully. It is also among the cheapest RPGs to be into.