A World of MAS!

Discuss the tactics and strategy of operating your own personal mercenary air squadron. Pilots, to your planes!
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

A World of MAS!

Post by mwaschak »

A World of MAS!

Ok, where do we go with MAS besides to other eras, planes, and elegant rules now? We see the world of course! This game, unlike the other MAS systems to date (sans MSS), there is a central map. The concept here is that the UN and all member nations have allowed MAS to operate in the world, and basically do their dirty work. But some of the things we glaze over in MAS are more important, such as where you operate, and within what boundaries. As you move into a region you will have to have enough influence and money to operate, buy, and avoid conflict with the locals.

Say PTSFP wants a shot at these lucrative, but restrained missions in Europe. First, he has to be able to even bid on one of the locations opened up, say in Finland, to fly. Everyone might get a shot at bidding for it, but maybe since Charlie's group is more respected and restrained (avoids the low brow work), he gets the location. He can build this up, but might be limited on how much land Finland sells him.

When a European mission is available, since he is in the region, he can bid on it. He will have to manage the planes and pilots between all his bases, which might be a difficult shuffling match. If WV sees PTSFP has moved its best pilots to Finland, I might strike his UAE base and destroy it.

Players are trying to be the dominant force in that region, and eventually win by being the most in the world. Given the scope of the game we want to minimize downtime for everyone too. But, that is it in a nutshell. What do you think? A lot of writing is underway, but just wanted to pass this along for your thoughts and input.

-Jay
SirDidymus
Cadet
Cadet

Re: A World of MAS!

Post by SirDidymus »

mwaschak wrote:A World of MAS!
Players are trying to be the dominant force in that region, and eventually win by being the most in the world. Given the scope of the game we want to minimize downtime for everyone too. But, that is it in a nutshell. What do you think? A lot of writing is underway, but just wanted to pass this along for your thoughts and input.
Sounds like Risk with planes doesn't it? ;)

Steph
Which minis am I working on right now? Go on, [url=http://www.rimshot.org/workbench/]take a look[/url]... you know you want to!
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

SirDidymus wrote:

Steph
Meh. It has a map in common with Risk, but no little numeric ones and threes moving about the map on a dicefest rampage.

-Jay
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

mwaschak wrote:
SirDidymus wrote:

Steph
Meh. It has a map in common with Risk, but no little numeric ones and threes moving about the map on a dicefest rampage.

-Jay
Risk topic: my favorite version of Risk is the first one I played as a kid, it had Roman numerals (I, III, V, and X) for the armies. Even with the modern, miniature oriented versions, it's still my favorite.

MAS World topic: Jay you may want to add a bonus/penalty for a MAS's plane activation cost and repair to encourage the players to "buy local" if they plan on staying in a region to dominate it. Logistically it makes sense and adds another layer of "how much is this plane worth to me to fly" decision making.
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

mwaschak wrote: Say PTSFP wants a shot at these lucrative, but restrained missions in Europe. First, he has to be able to even bid on one of the locations opened up, say in Finland, to fly. Everyone might get a shot at bidding for it, but maybe since Charlie's group is more respected and restrained (avoids the low brow work), he gets the location. He can build this up, but might be limited on how much land Finland sells him.
Perhaps Merc groups gain fame that is a spendable resource. These fame points could then be spent for various things including the amount of land a nation will sell to them for an additional base (or a modifier to the die roll for available planes?).
mwaschak wrote: When a European mission is available, since he is in the region, he can bid on it. He will have to manage the planes and pilots between all his bases, which might be a difficult shuffling match. If WV sees PTSFP has moved its best pilots to Finland, I might strike his UAE base and destroy it.
I would allow anyone to bid on a mission, but a Merc group in the region gets a discount based on the size of the base in the operation. In that same vein, I'm thinking that keeping track of which asset is where is going to be a bit of a pain, but you could have a base level which tells you the highest amount of planes that can be fielded in the region or some such.

-Bren
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

MarkG88 wrote: Risk topic: my favorite version of Risk is the first one I played as a kid, it had Roman numerals (I, III, V, and X) for the armies. Even with the modern, miniature oriented versions, it's still my favorite.

MAS World topic: Jay you may want to add a bonus/penalty for a MAS's plane activation cost and repair to encourage the players to "buy local" if they plan on staying in a region to dominate it. Logistically it makes sense and adds another layer of "how much is this plane worth to me to fly" decision making.
I like that version too. I could never really find many people to play Risk, let alone that copy of Star Trek Tactical Simulator that was sitting on my shelf unplayed since 198x.

That is a good idea though Mark and falls in line with our other discussion about plane variants. It would certainly encourage the correct distribution of planes throughout the world. So if it is cheaper to operate that A-7 practically anywhere because of the number produced and availability of parts, it may be a good and affordable plane for South America or Australia, but if we are talking about something like the F-15k, maybe it is only economical out of SE Asia or NA.

-Jay
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

jygro wrote:
Perhaps Merc groups gain fame that is a spendable resource. These fame points could then be spent for various things including the amount of land a nation will sell to them for an additional base (or a modifier to the die roll for available planes?).
That is a good idea. It actually reminds me a bit of Princes of the Renaissance where you have to control influece and money. Then you might have some regions that are more interested in your reputation to get things done right (and not in a messy way) than how much money you pull in.

It could also be accomplished by feats in the mission. For example you could earn notority by doing an underhanded mission, or fame by getting the job done right.

[quote=""jygro"]

I would allow anyone to bid on a mission, but a Merc group in the region gets a discount based on the size of the base in the operation. In that same vein, I'm thinking that keeping track of which asset is where is going to be a bit of a pain, but you could have a base level which tells you the highest amount of planes that can be fielded in the region or some such.

-Bren[/quote]

It may be inherently economical to bid on the local mission since you don't have to relocate an entire crew, or refuel them enroute. I will need to check if those kind of hours decrease pilot performance.

You do have a point about tracking assets. I was hoping to restrict all available assets to the various MAS bases. So you could see what you had in Europe #1 at a glance, but it might require quite a few base print outs.

Thanks guys!

-Jay
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

Likes it, you know alot of this stuff would fit that other little project as well.
:D
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

ianstead wrote:Likes it, you know alot of this stuff would fit that other little project as well.
I know, it has given me some ideas about influence and prestige for various "factions" for that project.

-Jay
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

mwaschak wrote:
ianstead wrote:Likes it, you know alot of this stuff would fit that other little project as well.
I know, it has given me some ideas about influence and prestige for various "factions" for that project.

-Jay
Yes, I think it will be a good assest to the whole MAS line. I wanted to ask you Jay, were you planning on putting your MAS log in here or in the playtest section, might generate some online "buzz" for the game, just a thought. Besides, I like reading it too! :lol:
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

MarkG88 wrote:
Yes, I think it will be a good assest to the whole MAS line. I wanted to ask you Jay, were you planning on putting your MAS log in here or in the playtest section, might generate some online "buzz" for the game, just a thought. Besides, I like reading it too! :lol:
Definitely. In fact, there is as good a place as any to sing the songs of Wicker Vengeance!

-Jay