Number of initial pilots in a MAS question

Discuss the tactics and strategy of operating your own personal mercenary air squadron. Pilots, to your planes!
netwilk
Ensign
Ensign

Number of initial pilots in a MAS question

Post by netwilk »

I'm trying to figure out what are the initial pilot numbers for MAS.

For single player, MAS is 4 I think and MAS:MTO is 6.

But the question is how many pilots are there, if multiple players are in a single MAS.

Is it

a) 4 (6 for MTO)
b) number of players
c) 4 (6 for MTO) + 1 for each additional player (ie. 5/7 with 2 players)
d) something else

Also, for Single MAS/Single Character (1.4.2.1), is the cost to create a new rookie pilot for a player the standard $25?

Thanks,

Lucas
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

By default, with multiple players in a single MAS the number of pilots equals the number of players (though if you only have a few players, you could easily do two pilots per player), so "b" is the answer to your question.

As for your other question, I'm going to leave that to Jay to answer when he has a moment.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

MAS

Post by mwaschak »

Hello!

Part of it depends on which player mode too. Because if all the players are in a single MAS, then there is only one pilot per player. However if you play in the other game modes, it is

"Single Player Mode also denotes that there
may be fewer dynamic pilots that gain
experience and grow with the MAS since the
player starts with four new pilots".

All modes allow for recruiting additional pilots at the default $20 for a rookie.

-Jay
netwilk
Ensign
Ensign

Re: MAS

Post by netwilk »

mwaschak wrote: All modes allow for recruiting additional pilots at the default $20 for a rookie.
I thought only the single player per MAS permitted this. Otherwise, who would ever pay the $25/+1 salary for hiring a permanent rookie Freelancer?

One more question, are the activation costs of $5 for JA-37 Viggen & HAL Tejas correct? This seem to be very expensive for their capabilities compared to the other similar planes at $2-$3.

PS. F-20 Tigershark & F-104 Starfighter would make perfect mercenary planes. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the answers!

Lucas
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

netwilk wrote: I thought only the single player per MAS permitted this.
The 4 pilots are basically there to populate any MAS that is being run by a single player.
netwilk wrote:Otherwise, who would ever pay the $25/+1 salary for hiring a permanent rookie Freelancer?
Freelancers are expensive in any case. The only time I have seen this used is if the freelancer has a personality, and is hired after the mission while still a rookie.
netwilk wrote:One more question, are the activation costs of $5 for JA-37 Viggen & HAL Tejas correct? This seem to be very expensive for their capabilities compared to the other similar planes at $2-$3.
Yes. I know a few groups have trimmed the cost down to make them obtainable ($3). Part of the reason is they are more readily available and early in the game. So for the cost of a few Mk-82's you get a pretty good fighter in the common bracket in the case of the Viggen.
netwilk wrote:PS. F-20 Tigershark & F-104 Starfighter would make perfect mercenary planes. :mrgreen:
Oh, definitely! These will either be free planes in the future, or part of the Worlds of MAS expansion.
netwilk wrote: Thanks for the answers!
You're welcome. Glad to have you with us here :) .

I am hoping to run a game here soon on TzuZun if we can all find a time to play.

-Jay
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

netwilk wrote:
mwaschak wrote: All modes allow for recruiting additional pilots at the default $20 for a rookie.
I thought only the single player per MAS permitted this. Otherwise, who would ever pay the $25/+1 salary for hiring a permanent rookie Freelancer?
Keep in mind that $20 gets a rookie with 3 EP to spend, while $25 gets you a freelancer with 5 EP to spend. Sometimes those extra EPs can make all the difference.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone