[1E] CSCR:Can double damage one-shot-kill an unscathed ship?

Discussion about the First Edition of the Victory by Any Means campaign rules.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

[1E] CSCR:Can double damage one-shot-kill an unscathed ship?

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Say a Reticulan squadron includes a DV 1 corvette with Formation Bonus 0 (so Directed Damage DV multiplier is 1.5), and the Terran player's anti-shipping fire deals 4 damage against the Reticulan squadron.

a) Can the Reticulan player assign double the corvette's DV (i.e. 2 points) of the Terrans' fire results to the corvette and have it destroyed outright, sparing other ships both points of damage, or must the ship be crippled and destroyed by separate volleys?
b) If double a unit's DV can, in fact, be applied in the above fashion, and the Terran player wishes to do so via Directed Damage, does the 1.5x DV multiplier get rounded up twice, once to determined damage required for Crippled and then again for Destroyed?

Code: Select all

roundUp(1.5 x 1 to Cripple) + roundUp(1.5 x 1 to Destroy) = 2 + 2 
= 4 damage to one-shot Destroy
or should the sum total damage required to Destroy the ship be multiplied by the Formation Modifier?

Code: Select all

roundUp(1.5 x (1 to Cripple + 1 to Destroy)) = roundUp(1.5 + 1.5) = ceil (3) 
= 3 damage to one-shot Destroy
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: [1E] CSCR:Can double damage one-shot-kill an unscathed s

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

a) The way that I've always played it is that you can destroy a unit in a single volley if you want to, and I don't think there are any rules against it in the book. So that DV 1 corvette could receive the 2 damage to destroy it rather than spread the damage around.

b) The amount of damage required to destroy the corvette is 2, and if that's how much damage is to be applied to it than the humans would only need 2 x 1.5 = 3 damage to one-shot it using directed damage.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Re: [1E] CSCR:Can double damage one-shot-kill an unscathed s

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Woot! Thanks Tyrel. With your help I'll be done CMing my first VBAM game turn in no time :D
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan