[1e] Clash of Colony Fleets!

Discussion about the First Edition of the Victory by Any Means campaign rules.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

[1e] Clash of Colony Fleets!

Post by virtutis.umbra »

I've got some systems with two (or in some cases more!) colony fleets belonging to different empires, all arriving in the same system with "Colonize System" orders on the same turn. All the empires in question are at Normal Relations with one another. I can't find any rules on how this situation is supposed to be adjudicated.

I think maximum hilarity is achieved by letting both orders stand, declaring the system contested, and splitting the carrying capacity between the two colonies. Everything will continue as normal until a diplomatic change allows hostilities or some other form of forced reconciliation.

Am I missing a written rule that's more canonical than such a ruling?
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
zyffyr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: [1e] Clash of Colony Fleets!

Post by zyffyr »

I like your solution, though I might give the two empires the option to cancel their colonization order and cede the system.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

How I eventually decided to rule this was:

SINCE two fleets at Normal Relations in a system still render the system Contested (right?), AND SINCE disembarking troops/cargo in a system isn't possible while the system is Contested unless a beachhead has been established under the Invasion mechanics (correct?), AND BECAUSE launching an Invasion in a Contested system would be considered hostile and thus prohibited by the terms of Normal Relations...

AND FURTHER BECAUSE generating a new colony follows the same criteria as other forms of disembarking even though it happens in a later game phase (is that valid?)...

I ruled that two or more fleets at Normal Relations block one another from colonizing, so the colonization orders are all invalid. Routes around this impasse are a) all but one Contesting power's ships vacate the system, requiring no change in diplomatic status; b) all Contesting powers achieve Peace and in the process recognize the system as being within the borders of one power; c) at least one Contesting power declares a state of hostilities and commences an Invasion. If they hold the planet exclusively (and it's not blockaded) at the conclusion of the Combat phase, they may colonize it in the 3.8.5 Found New Colonies phase.
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I think your interpretation of the rule is the best option, especially because it gives the two players an opportunity on the next turn to negotiate for control of the system.

I always allowed multiple empires to colonize the same planet/system in 1E, but I know for a fact that goes against the spirit of Jay's rules. The subject came up once or twice on the YahooGroups list over the years, and Jay commented at that time that he didn't intend for more that one power to ever have a colony on the same planet.

The old 4X sci-fi game Stars! used a different routine for determining who owned the planet. When two players tried to colonize a system on the same turn it was resolved like ground combat, with the two forces' colonists squaring off against each other. You could do the same in VBAM, essentially rolling randomly to see which side won or lost. Given the expense and importance of Census and colony ships in VBAM, though, it would be extremely frustrating for a player to randomly lose those assets to a single die roll just because he happened to be trying to colonize the same system as another player that same turn.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]