Federation Admiral Public Update

Other Source Material and Settings
terryoc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Federation Admiral Public Update

Post by terryoc »

Fed Admiral is on the Fall schedule as of 1 August, http://www.starfleetgames.com/prod_schedule.shtml
To be Released in September
Federation Admiral, Stock #4080, $TBA.
darbycmcd
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by darbycmcd »

Have you had any new official word on release? It is still posted for Sept... which is this month! I can't tell you how excited I am to get this product. F&E was always heavy on chrome where I didn't want it and embarrassingly bare where I did. I think a VBAM-ish take on it will be just right for me....
zyffyr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by zyffyr »

It has been pushed back to "Some time in 2012"
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

zyffyr wrote:It has been pushed back to "Some time in 2012"
Yeah, sorry guys. It has been uphill for a number of reasons. On the plus side 2e edges closer.

-Jay
BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by BLHarrison »

mwaschak wrote:
Yeah, sorry guys. It has been uphill for a number of reasons. On the plus side 2e edges closer.

-Jay
On the 2E frount, do we have any idea how much closer?
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

There's a shocker. Not.

:cry:
Asguard101
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Asguard101 »

Is there any update you can give on FA? Its not being discussed much over in SVC realm.
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

I won't call it dead, but it's not very alive.

Regardless of whether FA ever sees the light of day, the Local Campaign, which was the big feature of the rules will get reworked and likely see release as an expansion for 2E. Jay and I have also talked a little bit about adapting the Local Campaign into a boardgame format.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Charles Lewis wrote:I won't call it dead, but it's not very alive.

Regardless of whether FA ever sees the light of day, the Local Campaign, which was the big feature of the rules will get reworked and likely see release as an expansion for 2E. Jay and I have also talked a little bit about adapting the Local Campaign into a boardgame format.
Yeah, ADB's attention is firmly fixed on the tie up with Mongoose Games for the forseeable future, and in terms of money generating potential you can't really blame 'em.

I'm more fired up by 2e with the local campaign rules now anyway. After all, it's not so hard to generate your own SFB ship stats. Plus SVC seemed intent on turning it into F&E powered by VBAM, which is of little interest to me. Funny how all his objections to the game being 100% compatible with SFB, DC, F&E, SFBF, etc evaporated as soon as Mongoose's cash hit the table.
darbycmcd
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by darbycmcd »

A board game would rock!!!!! I think there is definately a niche for a 'Fifth Frontier War' type of game. And the GMT just released Space Empires which I think has done very well.

Would you want it to be a sort of 4x feel (like SE) or would you tie it into a fixed map (like FFW)? Maybe you could do a Traveler theme, it would probably be somewhat cheap license and give an insta-fanbase.
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

With the random mission and objective generator of the local campaign system, my thought is that all we'd need are some new races/fleet lists to replace the FC races, a modest-sized map (equal to two squad leader boards) and appropriate counters and we'd be off and running. With suitable success we could release new mapboards and race/counter sets as desired and possibly be able to do a tie-in with an existing property down the road.

That said, this is Jay's baby, and he's still contemplating his options.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
darbycmcd
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by darbycmcd »

Oh man, that would be sweet!
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Seconded. That would truly rock (even without Tholians)
Vandervecken
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Vandervecken »

I had the choice between Space Empires and Eclipse as my X-mas present from the family. I went with Eclipse, even though they could have bought 2 x Space Empires for cost of 1 Eclipse (Space game not Vampire stuff). Final decision was that wife was put off that it was called an old fashioned War Game where you had to defeat your opponents to win (and not that Group-hug victory stuff, hehehe). My 11 y/o daughter wanted Space Empires because it used some of the same ship artwork as the SEIV computer game, which she loves. But we need all 4 of us to make a great family night, so Eclipse won. I'll try to get Space Empires if I work any overtime this holiday season; and depending on overseas shipping, I might still get it before the local shop get my copy of Eclipse in.

Maybe next year we'll have a new board game whether it is Empire building, or Empire Clashing with a VBAM twist ! Mr. Lewis, surely you can get Jay and Tyrel aboard this Wagon-Train to the stars. Anyone who can quote Baron Fisher should easily win over the hearts and minds of enemies, yet alone compatriots such as them.

P.S. The mention of Fifth Fronteer War brings out a tear from my old eyes. I had borrowed my copy to a friend who had his kids a decade before I had mine, The copy was ruined when a mostly full can of Orange Soda was spilled on the board and not found for several days after the spill. The culprit was 8 or 9 at the time so the death penalty was not enforced, he was given a pardon; and now he has small children of his own, Mwaa, haaa, haa !

P.P.S. - I bet some of you old timers may have played Trillion Credit Squadrons- spaceship combat rules based on Traveller's High Guard. A pair of my buddies took 1st and 2nd at the 2nd Gen Con that GDW ran it, while I was still in the Army. They got Titles in the Traveller universe, I got C-Rations.
I weary of the Chase. Wait for me. I shall be merciful and Quick.
darbycmcd
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by darbycmcd »

Well, for sure I hope you let us know if there is something we can do to help this along. I think not only would it be cool itself, but it would be a great product to bring to the consimworld and bbg wargame communities, which may be a nice additional market for you products.

Have you thought about approaching mongoose with the federation admiral concept? they have the fading suns setting for their call to arms rules as well as the trekverse. they might be interested, and i think they would be much much nicer to work with.