Random Event Table

Playtesting & Rules Development
wadewan
Ensign
Ensign

Random Event Table

Post by wadewan »

The attached is the Random Events table I will be using for my Hostiles Inbound campaign. I did an update this afternoon hope to implement it soon.

My campaign uses a modified turn similar to Space Empires 4X where a Campaign is six-months broken down into three (two-month) movement phases and the Random Events are rolled once per Empire (PE and NPE) each Campaign Turn. If I find the events are happening too frequently I might implement a 1d6 where only a 4+ or 5+ generates a random event.

I purposely left results 1-24 as no event to allow for future ideas to be placed into the table. When the opportunity presents itself I am going to add the internal politic effects into the table where positive things helps the incumbent political parties power grow and negative events the opposite.

Cheers.
Attachments
Hostiles Inbound - Random Events Table.pdf
Draft Version 1.2
(700.25 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Random Event Table

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I've always found random events tables a bit frustrating to create because you either end up with so many different options that you need special rules for all of them, or they get distilled down to a bland list where the events really aren't all that interesting before.

I went back and looked at some of my old 1E campaign diaries, and there I was having a 5% chance per turn of there being a random event, then I was randomly picking an empire to be the event target. That made it easy to just roll a d20 and on a 20, random event!

I am going to revisit the idea of random events in the Galaxies project document. I think I like the idea of them being a standard "hey, this could happen" that you roll at the end of the turn, but I would want to add a bit more color compared to my 2E event table. I may have to crib some elements from yours along the way :)
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]