Glorious Stars Play Aid Website - Alpha

Playtesting & Rules Development
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Glorious Stars Play Aid Website - Alpha

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

OneMadOgre, on the topic of facilities you now only have to worry about supply depots and shipyards. The rest of the facilities are either gone (having been subsumed into other game functions) or are in a state of limbo, likely to be moved to the optional rules (planetary defenses, starports may become a special civilian station, etc.).

The current costs for both supply depots and shipyards are 20 EP, and 1/1 maintenance. There is a good possibility that shipyards may end up being reduced to 10 EP and 1/2 maintenance pending a possible tweak to the dock space rules, but I'm still working through that possible change.

You could add trade value for each system - that is the average of the system's Census and Utilized Productivity (rounding up).

And the terms shouldn't be shifting much at this point, as I am literally to the point of just putting in my final edits to the rules to reflect playtest updates. Nothing really major is going to be coming down the pike at this point.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Started facilities, but I'm just too tired from work today to do much with it this evening.

Home page should give a more centered map now instead of starting you in the upper left.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Quick change this morning to remove a EP formula I was thinking about for a homebrew. Should now be correct to be Prod * Raw.

Got me thinking however looking through the new play-test notes that I don't as of yet have anything in for the morale state of the colony.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Some minor updates today. I'm mostly working out the shipyard to conform to the new playtest information instead of my homebrew stuff. I have an open question on how to compute the specials that are one-time buy onlys, but I have the rest of it working in javascript. No database behind it yet, so you can't save them or anything, but you can try it out.

http://vbam2.azurewebsites.net/Ship/ShipConstruction/1
shipyard.png
shipyard.png (338.03 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Bah. The javascript has an error in the formula. Sorry about that. I'll get that fixed up shortly, or after I take the wife and kids down to the park.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

I think the JavaScript has been corrected. Shipyard still doesn't have a database backing it, so it doesn't save or remember your selections, but the checkbox type special attributes now should accurately compute as well. Advanced Tech level options to 7, although it will default to 3, because I'm a minor house in the next play test and I'm lazy.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Thank you! I will give it a thorough test soon.

-Jay
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Crappy day at work, followed by two sets of bad news in the evening means I didn't advance the code last night other than centering the little stick drawings of starship, flight, starbase, and tanks. Hopeful to get the database backing the shipyard this evening so we can start to save designs and then start creating and storing fleets by the end of the week.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

It's looking very promising! I don't think the Tech Level drop down is working, but everything else seems to be working fairly well. Something that I do have to point out in the draft is that the costs of the special abilities do round up, which gets rid of the decimal point costs and helps to keep things simpler.

I did get a good chuckle out of the unit type pictures, especially the fighters being a gun turret with a wing attached :)
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Should round up now.

The illustrations are the type I used to draw thirty years ago when I was a kid and liked to draw flip books of space battles. I've waited a long time to connect with guys like you.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

I've started to back the ship/shipclass/fleet section with a database. Leaving it this evening with a defect active that breaks the save, so I'm not going to publish any other changes this evening. Hoping to finish up the shipyard Friday evening. Might get there tomorrow night, but my eldest daughter has a band concert, and well, family first. :D
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

OneMadOgre wrote:I've started to back the ship/shipclass/fleet section with a database. Leaving it this evening with a defect active that breaks the save, so I'm not going to publish any other changes this evening. Hoping to finish up the shipyard Friday evening. Might get there tomorrow night, but my eldest daughter has a band concert, and well, family first. :D
Thank you for your work on this!

-Jay
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

My pleasure. I've had the outlines of a game like this done and re-done for years. But I never got it quite far enough that I could code more than a proof of concept. This has been a lot of fun.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Now that the GS playtest email thread contains a template Turn Orders format, I wonder if we could revisit the notion of adding an entry form to the web system?

Probably doesn't need to be anything fancy: freeform text fields for each of the "phases" to keep things open-ended and not too rulebound on the order-entry side; but, having a numeric field for each phase indicating number of EP allocated in that phase would be helpful, plus "output" numeric fields for phases with a product, such as Tech Points.

E.g.
============================================
Empire Name, Turn X
  • Starting Economic Pool: 20 {Stored Value}
  • System Income: +24 {Auto-Calculated}
  • Commerce Income: +6 {Auto-Calculated}
  • Miscellaneous Income: +0 {Auto-Calculated}
  • Maintenance Expense: -10 {Auto-Calculated}
  • Miscellaneous Expense: -0 {Auto-Calculated}
  • Current Economic Pool: 40 {Auto-Calculated}
  • Current Tech Pool: 28 {Stored Value}
First Fleet @ Earth (3 x Heavy Cruiser, 2 x Light Cruiser) {Auto-Concatenated}
Second Fleet @ Proxima (1 x Light Cruiser, 4 x Destroyers) {Auto-Concatenated}

--Orders related to the current turn.
Empire Name, Turn X Orders

Movement Phase
{Text}
=> Second Fleet to Proxima
{/Text}

Tech Phase
Spent: {Numeric entry} 10 EP
Tech Gained: {Numeric entry} 10 TP
{Text}
=> +10 tech investment (10 EP)
{/Text}

Construction Phase
Spent: {Numeric entry} 28 EP
{Text}
=> Purchase 2 Heavy Cruisers @ Sol (24 EP)
=> Repair 2 Destroyers @ Proxima (4 EP)
{/Text}

Ending Economic Pool: 2 {Auto-Calculated}
Ending Tech Pool: 38 {Auto-Calculated}
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Absolutely.

I'm looking at the player detail screen as a model. http://vbam2.azurewebsites.net/player/Details/17 The version I have in development has a tab at the bottom for systems, fleets, and trade routes. (The version on the server you can get to only has systems right now.) Once I get the ship/fleet interface backed with a database, I can auto calculate the maintenance costs and allow for movement orders. Once I get the trade route backed by the database, I can automate the commerce section. I believe I understand how I'm going to use the login to create a "fog of war" so that your turn orders aren't visible to other people.

I'm actually really looking forward to working on it this weekend. My day job has my hair so pointy, I can't code, I only get to manage a bunch of software engineers.