Glorious Stars Play Aid Website - Alpha

Playtesting & Rules Development
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Re: Glorious Stars Play Aid Website - Alpha

Post by OneMadOgre »

I had missed some system updates that Jay had sent me for the website. It particularly impacted the great houses with their main system and their unimportant system. It should all match up now with the spreadsheet from May 22.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

No update tonight. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to handle orders.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

It's been a long week. No update today. I have some sketched out models for how to handle data around orders, shipyards, and trade routes, as well as an empire dashboard. But I'm just been exhausted this week. Good odds I'm giving my notice on Monday and taking on a new job in a couple of weeks. Sorry for the slowdown. Weekend is pretty booked, but I might have some time tomorrow evening to get some additional code down.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Don't get stressed out on deadlines on our account, man. I for one am already immensely grateful just to have a super-awesome starmap with click-through system details with drool-worthy awesome graphics. My immersion is already improved by your work; you could stop here if you wanted to :)
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

I just like giving updates I think.

Fleets are coming along nicely. Bunch of code refactored. Family picnic in the weather that Seattle needs to take back, might get it published still this evening if I can get the fleet create, fleet rename, ship assignment to fleet functionality in.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Fleets create and can be renamed. However, they still have some polish before they are ready for the production server. I need to correct some automatic updates, like moving flagships out of whatever fleet they used to be in when a new fleet is created. Probably also need to take the system selection away from the fleet create and instead just grab the system where the flagship is.

Finally, I also need to make sure that fleets can be generated automatically when a new ship is created in a system where there isn't already a fleet to attach to.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Not as finished as I want, but enough there that I should publish it and let you all see it. So then I discovered it is going to break for all of you when you try fleets or shipyard. Sorry about that.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

You need to be logged in to see this and the edits look like they blow up if you're not me, but because I have a hole in the code, you can see my fleets as they are currently arranged. Does this look like a good interface to you all?

http://vbam2.azurewebsites.net/vbamships/ViewFleets
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Looks magnificent. Good use of animations for the fleet selection, and the data presentation is clear, concise and obvious.

Are fleet constituents sorted by type, then by CC? If I have sufficiently big Heavy Fighters that end up higher CC than my Corvettes, will they get interleaved or will Fighters stay clumped below Starships?

EDIT: If I click open an empty fleet, a line of text that says "No constituent units" or something like that would be informative.
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Thanks!

The sort is by unit type first. Then by size, so it should always sort... Ships, Flights, Bases, Ground.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

You, sir, are a badass.
-Patrick
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

So close to giving you all fleets.

But I'm struggling to teach myself how to handle the case where I only want to let you change the ship's name, not it's other columns. Need to learn some more about viewmodels it would seem. Something to get me past

Code: Select all

The model item passed into the dictionary is of type 'System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DbQuery`1[VBAM3.ViewModels.EditShipModel]', but this dictionary requires a model item of type 'VBAM3.ViewModels.EditShipModel'.
Mostly I think it's about learning how to have the linq query come back without an "IEnumerable"

Soon I hope.

Edit:

Okay, decided that I might as well give you all what I have. Edit Ship will blow up, so clicking on a hull name is going to send you to an error. But you can...
* Create ship classes
* Create fleets (if you have a shipyard. As a player you do.)
* Create ships (if you have a fleet)
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Another quick note, then Ogres need their beauty sleep.

I haven't loaded the default ship classes we all get. I probably can, just haven't. If you're lazy or patient you can wait for me, or you can load them yourself for yourself.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Not sure if this helps your issue or not, sadly I haven't touched ASP.NET MVC myself:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12146519/

... but it directly pertains to the error signature you're getting, so I'm hoping it provides some clarity?
-Patrick
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Going to slow down publishes for a bit. I've decided I've learned enough MVC to want to figure out how to use a repository layer. I'm going to be refactoring to that.

An added benefit of that work should be that I'll have the code arrayed for playtest, and I can run multiple play tests at that point.