Iron Sky
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Re: The Glorious Stars Playtest

Post by Iron Sky »

Home system of House Echelon: Echelon
"North" system: Sword
"South" system: Blade

House Echelon is slightly obsessed and not especially imaginative. Breaking the social norms might offend someone and get you a new scar or one less ear, so better to go with something that no one has reason to object to. :)
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

House Phoenix of Arcturus names its two protectorate stars (redact) and (redact), after two of the most prominent dynastic surnames of Phoenix Republic's founding families.

:D

EDIT: I had a better idea, if it's not too late to change system names. Phoenix's two protectorate territories are Roc and Garruda instead, led by the skilled governorship of the powerful Tucson and Scottsdale shareholder families through their foundation and into the present day by repeated popular re-election.
Last edited by virtutis.umbra on Mon May 20, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

P.S.

We are DEFINITELY going to need a wiki for this. :)
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

virtutis.umbra wrote:P.S.

I've gently hinted at Jay that he needs to copy-and-paste everything into a single document so that we can just post a PDF with all of the background information, names, and contact information in one place. Otherwise it's going to get very confusing very fast.

I also think he'll have to end up exporting the map out as a PDF (so that it will be searchable), and add nice colored borders and territory names so that we have any idea who owns what. There are just too many player positions for us to look at system colors and know who owns what.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:
virtutis.umbra wrote:P.S.

I've gently hinted at Jay that he needs to copy-and-paste everything into a single document so that we can just post a PDF with all of the background information, names, and contact information in one place. Otherwise it's going to get very confusing very fast.

I also think he'll have to end up exporting the map out as a PDF (so that it will be searchable), and add nice colored borders and territory names so that we have any idea who owns what. There are just too many player positions for us to look at system colors and know who owns what.
Yeah, the work you guys have put out there so far is just great. We need to organize this well and it can start with me getting the set up notes in one place.

Thanks!
-Jay
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

okay first cut. Sadly, this is a very busy weekend for me, so I might not be back in the code until late Sunday evening again. Which is a shame, because I'm eager to try out the website as a play aid. Here's a screen shot. It does require a browser that is either IE9+, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome to use the SVG graphics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqhcdsojj02wo ... rsBase.png

All - Just a rough cut. Because my system randomly generates star system resources, the size of my control circles are not going to be indicative of what the actual worth of the system is when we play. It's still based on my random generator. (you'll notice Sol rolled no planets via no carry, so clearly it's not right yet.)

Jay - don't worrying about trying to edit it through the UI yet. I have some additional data to fix up first.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Having said that, if there is a table (excel or Google) that detailed the stellar type (single, binary, cluster, blackhole), carry, raw, and bio; I could edit out the systems so that the control circles would correctly size.

Also, I didn't do all of the jump lanes, just started them in the upper left part of the map.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Relating to Geoffrey's in-character post in the other thread, once Jay has the systems stats done, he and I should be able to finish up the starting fleet lists and get everything out to everyone. Then we should be in a better position to figure out how exactly we want to split up the neutral systems. That is unless Jay throws some sort of wrench into the works - I'm not sure how he wants to handle those neutral systems yet :)

From my empire's perspective, I would probably advocate either giving the systems to the nearest minor house to give them a few more resources or else work out some sort of a deal where two empires share joint ownership of a system and split the income from them. It's an edge case that the rules as written really don't discuss, but I think it would be fair for situations like that unnamed system that is between Carcosa and Eridanus. Of course the latest version of the map has a restricted lane connecting Carcosa to that system, at which point Eridanus really has a much more valid claim to the system.

Realistically, I have a feeling we're probably going to be looking at an early game land grab as players just move in and try to secure those neutral systems by military means. I'm not sure what repercussions that will have on the galactic political stage, however.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

OneMadOgre wrote:Having said that, if there is a table (excel or Google) that detailed the stellar type (single, binary, cluster, blackhole), carry, raw, and bio; I could edit out the systems so that the control circles would correctly size.

Also, I didn't do all of the jump lanes, just started them in the upper left part of the map.
I ended up lying Jay due to some thunderstorms moving through Minneapolis cancelling my daughter's softball games. Jumplanes are entered, star systems are all now connected. I didn't add jump lanes into undiscovered country because my system wants an endpoint on both sides. :)
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

OneMadOgre wrote:
OneMadOgre wrote:Having said that, if there is a table (excel or Google) that detailed the stellar type (single, binary, cluster, blackhole), carry, raw, and bio; I could edit out the systems so that the control circles would correctly size.

I ended up lying Jay due to some thunderstorms moving through Minneapolis cancelling my daughter's softball games. Jumplanes are entered, star systems are all now connected. I didn't add jump lanes into undiscovered country because my system wants an endpoint on both sides. :)
The map is looking good!

BTW, you can put each of the unexplored systems on the map and connect those jump lanes to them. Players know where the unexplored systems are and which jump lanes are connecting to them, they just don't know how good the system is or how many jump lanes the system really has until it is explored. This is a shift from 1E where jump lanes were unexplored. The reason for the shift is because while the old model worked good for not having to put new systems on the map until they were explored, it also created strange rules interactions where you had to determine if an exploration fleet was really in its home system or not during the turn -- it's just easier from that standpoint to force players to move into an unexplored system and have a look around.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Of course I can. I probably should have thought of that. :)

Since it's still raining and my next committment isn't for until early afternoon, I normalized all of the control circles for now. The design intent is that the circle reflects the value of the system, but right now I don't know what those are supposed to be. :)

Here's the latest sneak peak. I'd open the url to everyone, but I haven't secured the code yet, so you'd all be able to make edits and well, that would slow me down. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv0kdna7epp9u ... sBase2.png

edit:

I'm smiling a lot apparently. The code work is going well I guess. One last side note. If you already have the URL for the site, I'm okay with you sharing it, I figure the two of you know what you need to make this thing move forward, so if there are more people you want to look at it, please share it. I just want to keep the general distribution down until I tie up the security pieces. I raced to map instead last night so we could have something to look at.
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

House Dorgoth
A minor house with old roots in the Hegemony intelligence and military particularly on the frontier.

Fair
Dorgoth law is based on the founding principle that one cannot have justice from behind closed doors. All political and court proceedings are required to be made available via live stream and recorded for later playback. A contract can be declared void if a court determines that the negotiations that led to the contract were not properly available to the public. Moreover, all lawyers work for the state and are assigned as needed - one cannot hire a private attorney whether for criminal or civil court. Further examples of this principle extend so far as to require a lie-detector test to verify all testimony. The system seems painful and slow to outsiders, but Dorgoth citizens take great pride in their system.

Egalitarian
Dorgothians believe that all people are equal in all ways insofar as opportunity is concerned, and all property is technically owned by the state and leased to a citizen or corporation. All education is paid for by the state, including higher education for those who want it. And, while all citizens are supplied basic food, clothing and shelter, those who contribute to society gain more and better goods and services. In addition to a heavy sales tax, each person pays taxes to the state based on the quality and quantity of resources they consume. If one can pay the taxes, one may use more resources such as civil litigation, private vehicles, nicer homes, or larger warehouses. Additional votes are given to citizens who contribute more to society than they consume. Businesses are licensed by the government to provide a certain quality and quantity of goods to the public. The taxes on each item are set by the government, and this cost is passed on to the consumer.

Futuristic
In Dorgoth, each citizen has a continuously updated "rating". This rating is increased by working, with more important or difficult jobs generating a higher increase. Paying taxes increases one's rating as well. And finally, doing favors for people generates a rating increase based on the disparity of rating between the two: doing a favor for someone much higher rated than oneself generates a large increase, but only a small decrease for the other person. Conversely, doing a favor for someone lower rated than oneself generates only a small bump for the grantor, and no significant change for the beneficiary. Hosting a livecast concert for millions of viewers can quickly bump up one's rating simply because of the number of people who benefit, even if each person's contribution is individually negligible.

All this information is accessible through mobile devices, chipped or cybernetic eyes, etc. The interface is much like any social network, with a system of likes, dislikes, bumps and hits.
Last edited by Emiricol on Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:
The map is looking good!

Yes it is! Sorry, I was offline for this or that reason yesterday. I should have some system stats for us soon, that I will probably run by Tyrel first. That should let us figure out how we want these first few turns to play out. I thought about simply handing out territory, but some players like the land reason. I could probably build a reason for it in to the story.

Thanks!
Jay
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Awesome. No worries there. Figure an evening for me to update my database with your data when you guys are ready.

I set up basically a solo Purple planet for any system that didn't randomly generate them so that I could put settlements there. If you guys want the planets in there, I can do that, otherwise, I can wipe out all of the randomly generated planets and place a purple planet with the system stats (Carry, Bio, Raw) one in each system.

I should also note that I set the systems up as single stars unless I could see that they were a cluster or black hole. That is easy to fix too when the time comes, just need to know what they should be (single v. binary)
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Jay / MadOgre,

I made an edit upthread, I'm hoping it's not yet too late to change my mind about House Phoenix's two unnamed colony systems...
-Patrick