Jay,

Do you have the three words for Thoth?
mavikfelna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: The Glorious Stars Playtest

Post by mavikfelna »

House Far Stars

Among the first people to leave the cradle of Earth in search of freedom and peace, the Far Stars Corporation was a religious group determined to leave the corruption and faithlessness of the home world behind. They actually managed to acquire several long range sleeper ships and left in early days of the first Diaspora.

In order to get far enough away to avoid all influence of Earth, the Far Stars traveled to the very extreme range of their colony ships. Many did not survive the journey but those that did set about making a new life on a virtual garden world they dubbed Zion.

Over the centuries, they slowly expanded from Zion to the neighboring planets and stars, building a vigorous society that was just starting to think about returning to Earth with the wisdom they had learned over that time when the scouts of Hegemony found them.

Disgusted at what they saw as the decadence of the Terran Hegemony, they choose to keep themselves aloof from the politics of the Hegemony and try to bring their words directly to the people. Far Stars missionaries spread throughout the Hegemony and while they had little success in converting the masses, they became well know for their wisdom and generosity. They were also often forced out of cities and planets when they choose to preach against the excesses and abominations of the ruling classes.

The great network of Far Stars missionaries allowed the government and church to take note of rise of House Raptor and decline of the Hegemony. Using a combination of guile, legal cunning and subtle threat they were able to avoid being swept away and instead became the House Far Stars. Though subservient to House Raptor, House Far Stars is still outspoken and vigorous in their pursuit of religious freedoms and a "return to the values that lead Humanity to the stars."

The government and the church of Far Stars are separate entities but they are intimately entwined. The government is lead by a high council that is elected from the regional councils which are in turn elected from their local councils. Currently the High Council consists of 10 members who serve for terms of 5 years.

The Church of Far Stars is ruled by the Prophet of Stars who is elected from the Council of Elders for life. Traditionally, this is the longest serving member of the council and that is currently Myson Dreimon. Prophet Dreimon is currently ill and at 130 years of age is not expected to last much longer. It is expected that he will be succeeded by his brother Deimon Dreimon, who was called to the Council of Elders at the same time as his brother. There are currently 72 members on the Council of Elders.
Stad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Stad »

Really good ideas...

Does one need the 2ed playtest pack first to play?

I put up my idea, I know its brief, but I am thinking it might be fun to try...
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Vibrant
Secretive
Intense
TangoTarheel wrote:
Do you have the three words for Thoth?
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Stad wrote:Really good ideas...

Does one need the 2ed playtest pack first to play?

I put up my idea, I know its brief, but I am thinking it might be fun to try...
Thanks! More soon!

You need the need 2e materials, but not at this point in the game. Right now we are creating a setting.
gstano
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gstano »

Jay,

I would enjoy the opportunity to participate, particularly since the previous online VBAM campaigns have never made it past turn 2!

I am a rookie with the game, so please place me wherever you feel is appropriate (minor house, rim, whatever).

I can start with Craytan as my faction (house or otherwise).

Geoffrey
It's not as bad as it turned out to be.
TangoTarheel
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TangoTarheel »

On Thoth:

Go to any major city (and many smaller ones) and you'll find a cacophony of change powered by strong anti-monopoly sentiment and a great deal of capital held in the common trust. From changing night life to experimental services and industries to industries supporting the creation of new industries the only constant in the Thoth domain is change.

Change can be good and bad for many people, the basic standard of living is assured for the majority of Citizens, though gross misconduct can strip a person of their Citizenship rights. However, this is generally offered only as a last resort after other punishments have been enacted. Most Thothians find the system works for them and provides a balance between allowing for individuals to improve themselves and supporting a sustenance levels the population without that verve. Most economists liken the workings of most Thoth holdings to being based on C. H. Douglas' idea of Social Credit.

Like most societies, the Thoth are full of contradictions. Thoth have a higher than normal IQ and also a higher incidents of mental disorders on the Aspergers spectrum. Many have suggested that this was a result of the Ryann plague that resulted in a genetic shift. This remains unconfirmed, but popular fodder for the media to suggest that the Thoth are either a depraved immoral bunch paying for their sins or the first step in genetically engineered supermen bent on domination.

Most Thoths cultivate their personas, some give more personal information than others. When people first meet someone from Thoth they find that they're willing to talk a lot about most issues, but they seldom put all their cards on the table, especially among the upper class (such as they are), there are things that are not polite and to the Thoth not necessary for people to know unless they're very close, at least not without a non-disclosure agreement.
Iron Sky
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Sky »

mwaschak wrote:
Iron Sky wrote:Stealing from my blog: House Echelon
House Echelon
Strange
Quarrelsome
Graceful
House Echelon

If you've ever seen a holo film with some adventurer or duelist is using an energy sword, they're probably from Echelon Major, or, more specifically, Echelon IV, its fourth planet where 90% of the system's population lives. Every Echelonian is "Belted" (given a sword) at the age of eighteen to represent their adulthood and citizenship and sword work classes are required in schools from the age of six on. Theoretically, all the swords are equal to represent that every adult member of the society is equal, but after the initial "First Sheathing Ceremony", most young men and women are either gifted or seek to obtain a sword of quality while the "Citizen Sword" goes on a mantle or in a box somewhere.

It is possible to turn down a duel, but one must then turn in their "Citizen Sword" and become a "Decer" (pronounced "decker", short for "Decliner"), a second class citizen, bereft of voting rights or the ability to hold office in addition to the stigma of cowardice. Given that duels are entirely legal and official 10 meter dueling circles exist in building lobbies, parks, and public buildings everywhere, there are very strictly adhered-to manners and Echelonians are known not only for their stiffly formal politeness, but also their disdain for any "child" or, worse, a Decer who doesn't carry a sword of their own.

Visitors to the Echelon system are offered "Guest Blades" upon entry into customs. These may be refused to avoid facing down a drunk patriot trying to prove their superiority by forcing the visitor into a duel, but without a blade, few will treat a foreigner seriously.

They are almost universally lean and well-dressed - lean from hours of blade practice and related training regimens and well-dressed to avoid insulting another through slovenly garb. If dealing with another Belted individual, they are almost unfailingly gracious, witty, and polite, but can be cruel, capricious, and disdainful of Decers (including swordless foreigners).
Last edited by Iron Sky on Wed May 15, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

House Echelon sounds pretty rad.

Are most duels to the death, then? To first blood?
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
Iron Sky
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Sky »

virtutis.umbra wrote:House Echelon sounds pretty rad.

Are most duels to the death, then? To first blood?
To first blood unless both parties agree otherwise, but there are often "accidents".
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Here's what I was able to pull out of the forum thread and Yahoo Groups discussion for house name/descriptors: did I miss any?

Code: Select all

House Echelon     :   Strange, Quarrelsome, Graceful
House Far Stars   :   Wise, Combative, Outrageous
House K'Tah       :   Jealous, Penitent, Concerned
House Kestrel     :   Numerous, Efficient, Enthusiastic
House Phoenix     :   Stoic, Corporate, Philanthropic
House Raptor      :   Noble, Advanced, Conflicted
House Thoth       :   Vibrant, Secretive, Intense
House Trask       :   Gritty, Ambitious, Elite
House Wolf        :   Autonomous, Careful, Appointed
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Nice work on the houses guys! We are going to need a wiki to track all this!
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

I can see House Echelon as a house that gets hired out for a lot of body guard work.

-Jay
VenomBlue
Cadet
Cadet

Post by VenomBlue »

Hi Guys...new guy joinging in.

House Aigle -- Firebrand, Misunderstood, Underhanded

House Aigle is a minor house which has never achieved the status envisioned by it's founders, who provided the house with a motto of "Light...Radiance...Glory!" Some within the New Earth Empire (NEE) just smile and chuckle when the subject of House Aigle arises, others speak with high praise while some just bristle with fury and disgust. A person's perception of House Aigle is extremely dependent upon the individual's with whom the have interacted. However it is safe to say that if strife or unrest is being fostered, then someone from House Aigle may be involved.

The major societal characteristics are somewhat mutually exclusive which may account for the fact that it remains a minor house. The first personality is one of being lively, headstrong, bossy, independent and somewhat self-centered. The individual wants to be the best at everything and tends to believe they are the center of the universe. The second major characteristic is that of being timid, passive and dependent, indecisive at times, as well as emotional, attentive and altruistic, stepping aside to allow others to enjoy the limelight. This combination of characteristics can make house individuals hard to understand as they can appear extremely moody....enthusiastic and self-assured one moment; passive and defeatist the next.

Over the centuries, control of the House has vacillated from one group to the other. Strong and decisive for a period, making gains withing the NEE...to being indecisive and allowing others to advance while they fall behind. The last couple of decades has seen a slight but possibly significant shift in the attitudes of the House leadership. Instead of going from one extreme to another, a small but growing faction is attempting to focus on positives from both major characteristics and make the motto a reality.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Thank you!