2nd Edition Playtest Report- Terran Commonwealth

wminsing
Commander
Commander

Re: 2nd Edition Playtest Report- Terran Commonwealth

Post by wminsing »

Also, on an amusing side note, due to how I was forced to distribute infrastructure the largest ship that the Geidi Empire can currently build is limited to 10 BC. I will work on rectifying that ASAP! :lol:

-Will
"Ships and sail proper for the heavenly air should be fashioned. Then there will also be people, who do not shrink from the dreary vastness of space."
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

Another quick rules question. Are mapped jump lanes mapped for everybody, or does each power have to map each lane for itself? I think the answer is no shared exploration but I thought I'd check.

On a general note, assuming that you need to track who has explored what jump lane, how do people typically handle the notation and mapping for this? A separate map for each NPE?

-Will
"Ships and sail proper for the heavenly air should be fashioned. Then there will also be people, who do not shrink from the dreary vastness of space."
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

Ok, need guidance again on the diplomacy rules (seems like I am just really slow on picking them up).

The Terran Commonwealth and their new not-quite neighbors the Geidians can't communicate, and have a -5 relationship modifier currently. No communications, so no chance of a positive treaty. But there is still the chance of hostilities, if I am correct.

In the draft the chance of a declaration is AG - Relation. For the Geidians that would be 55 - (-5) for a 60% chance. They rolled a 24, so that indicates they will attempt to declare war, or rather Hostilities. Per the OLD draft, the chance seems to be 50% (hostilities base) - -5 (relationship) +5 (Geidi AG of 55 - 50) = 60% of declaration succeeding. Is this correct?

Not that this will likely have much of an effect since the only known path to each other is currently through a Black Hole but it will definitely affect their build up/colonization pattern if they are going to be shooting at each other.

Also if they do go into hostilities how do I go about trying to establish communications so they can later try to make peace if things turn out that way?

-Will
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
countercheck
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by countercheck »

wminsing wrote:Another quick rules question. Are mapped jump lanes mapped for everybody, or does each power have to map each lane for itself? I think the answer is no shared exploration but I thought I'd check.

On a general note, assuming that you need to track who has explored what jump lane, how do people typically handle the notation and mapping for this? A separate map for each NPE?

-Will

I think that while the map isn't necessarily visible, each empire can follow each other's buoys, so there's no need to actually send a survey fleet through, any ship will automatically explore the lane. THough there's nothing that indicates this. It just makes sense, because otherwise warfare would be REALLY slow. Maybe there could be an intel mission for this?
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

It just makes sense, because otherwise warfare would be REALLY slow. Maybe there could be an intel mission for this?
Fair point, though I think there could be some interesting actions around 'pathfinder' forces and such (combat capable or very stealthy explorer fleets basically). But I agree it would make a war a very extended affair, and possibly favor the defender too much. An intel mission also makes a great deal of sense.

-Will
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
LiolLangston
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LiolLangston »

Small little thing that I just noticed about your turn reports. It appears you have you industrial capacity as your RAW*Industry(5*8). It is actually Census*Industry(8*8). That increases your Industrial Capacity by 24 to 64.
Politics is the womb in which war develops.
Karl Von Clausewitz

Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.
Jean Rasczak (Starship Troopers)
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

I actually am calculating it as Utilized Industry * 5 (Sol's Raw is also 5, which is why it looks the same)- is it in fact Census*Utilized Industry? I could have easily gotten that mixed up.

-Will
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
LiolLangston
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LiolLangston »

it's on page 100 of the CG 2e 20120531

only place that it actually says how to get the industrial cap in the whole thing and it's under supply... :P
Karl Von Clausewitz

Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

Thanks! I will update appropriately. It makes a big difference for the new guys too!

-Will
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
LiolLangston
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LiolLangston »

I do see where you got that from, the lost in a sea of stars forum right?
Tyrel said he was thinking about using 5Xindustry, since low census, low industry worlds can't build much. makes sense but it does significantly lower the amount you can build overall.
Karl Von Clausewitz

countercheck
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by countercheck »

A second point is you a system can only support CCs equal to its Industry x census, putting a cap on the number of units you can build.
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

"A second point is you a system can only support CCs equal to its Industry x census, putting a cap on the number of units you can build.
But that's if the system is supplying ships locally, not if the ships are being supplied via a supply depot, correct?

-Will
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
countercheck
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by countercheck »

wminsing wrote:
"A second point is you a system can only support CCs equal to its Industry x census, putting a cap on the number of units you can build.
But that's if the system is supplying ships locally, not if the ships are being supplied via a supply depot, correct?

-Will
At present that is unclear to me. I'm currently treating supply depots as a system to distribute supply that already exists - if a system is within range of a depot, it contributes supply to the depot, which redistributes it to far-flung fleets.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

countercheck wrote:I'm currently treating supply depots as a system to distribute supply that already exists - if a system is within range of a depot, it contributes supply to the depot, which redistributes it to far-flung fleets.
Huh. I really like that approach; I shall adopt it!
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
countercheck
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by countercheck »

virtutis.umbra wrote:
countercheck wrote:I'm currently treating supply depots as a system to distribute supply that already exists - if a system is within range of a depot, it contributes supply to the depot, which redistributes it to far-flung fleets.
Huh. I really like that approach; I shall adopt it!
I'm glad! I thought it was the best way to interpret

"A colony's supply capacity can only
be used to resupply friendly units in its own system.
Supply depots are required to transport supplies to
units operating in other nearby star systems. " p100

And if you have multiple depots in range of each other, supply can get passed down the line. The nice thing about this is it emphasizes that you need a supply chain. It also serves as a limit on the number of units you can physically afford to supply. I figure you could have Supply treaties, allowing you to include foreign depots in your supply chain, or even purchase extra supply points from them if you have more ships than you can afford.