Rules Question - Commerce Raiding

wminsing
Commander
Commander

Rules Question - Commerce Raiding

Post by wminsing »

Hi all,

I've been working on my own solo playtest campaign with the files provided so far (though I see stuff has already been updated again!). I have had my first Pirate Force form. The Chapter 14 section on what exactly the pirates do (other then raid colonies) is empty though- so how in general are Commerce Raids going to be performed?

-Will
"Ships and sail proper for the heavenly air should be fashioned. Then there will also be people, who do not shrink from the dreary vastness of space."
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

At this point, there is still some general debate over how much of the pirate rules will make it into the final book. This has been exacerbated by some other changes that have been made to the rules for simplification purposes.

Right now it looks like the pirate forces will probably act as speed bumps more than anything else. They generate in a system and will act as a general nuisance. As for the raiding types, if they do get retained into the final game, they will likely have the following effects:

Commerce Raiding: The pirate force will raid a trade link in the system. A Minor Interception Scenario will be generated against the trade link's owners. If the pirates 'win' this scenario, they will receive the commerce income normally generated by that trade link.

Convoy Raiding: The pirate force will raid Cargo vessels in the system. A Minor Interception Scenario will be generated against the Cargo vessel's owners in an attempt to steal the cargo. If the pirates 'win' this scenario, they will steal some or all of this cargo (this one may end up just not existing anymore, given that Civilian Fleets are gone now).

Colony Raiding: The pirate force will raid a colony in the system. A Minor Defensive Scenario will be generated against the colony's owners. If the pirates 'win' this scenario, they will receive the colony income normally generated by that colony.

The general idea with the raids is that the pirate forces will be attempting to deny income to the colony or trade link's owners while at the same time earning the pirate force some money to buy replacement units. That is also a reason why I am thinking about deferring the actual raiding rules to a future book that goes more in-depth with pirate forces, as right now the treatment that we can afford them in the main book is going to limited at best due to page count.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

Fair enough, that's at least enough to keep my current campaign going. Thanks!

-Will
"Ships and sail proper for the heavenly air should be fashioned. Then there will also be people, who do not shrink from the dreary vastness of space."
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609