Questions, Comments and Observations on Promo Files – Part 2

BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Questions, Comments and Observations on Promo Files – Part 2

Post by BLHarrison »

(9.0 Diplomacy)
9.6.1.1 First Contact Hostilities Check: I believe that you wanted Diplomacy to lower chances of a First Contact battle. However the formula given “If the percentile die result is less than or equal to half its Aggressiveness (AG) plus the total Diplomatic rating in the fleet, the power will issue a de facto X.X Hostilities Declaration against the opposing empire” will not have this result. Example a fleet from an Empire with 100 AG meets a Fleet/Exploratory group from an Empire with 50 AG. The Exploratory fleet contains enough units to give it 25 Diplomacy. As the rules now stand they have an equal chance of starting hostilities (100/2 = 50) vs. ((50/2 = 25) +25 = 50). May I suggest changing the formula to one-half Aggressiveness MINUS Diplomacy? In the above example the fleet with diplomatic units would have zero chance of starting a fight. Or as an alternate drop Diplomacy from the formula and use it as a modifier to the d100 roll. You could even make the modifier positive or negative, based on the players real goals i.e. they want to beat up on someone so they add it to the roll making it more likely to start a fight, or they really don’t want trouble, so the subtract it from the roll making a fight (or at least making the chance they will start one) less likely

(12.0 Campaign Units)
13.2.1 Starships: The various optional rules, do you have to spend mass to get them? For example a light warship gets a +1 to +3 bonuses to speed (Engines). Suppose I want build a corvette sized patrol craft. I want to save mass for other equipment so I don’t spend mass on Engines. Does that give the ship class a 3 movement? Or for that matter if I give the ship class a 2 movement do I gain available mass to the amount of -1 times my ETL engine mass?. The same situation would apply to cruisers endurance bonus, capital ships command bonus and dedicated carriers launch bonus.

13.2.1 Starships: Related to above, does the bonus apply to Auxiliaries? I can see it going each way (making it totally optional). Example: A stores ship built on a cruiser hull. Its mission is to supply the fleet so it could have a very large endurance factor, made cheaper by the cruiser bonus. Or a very fast transport built on a light warship hull (I’m thinking something like the _Rodger Young_ from the original print version of “Starship Troopers”

Thank you for your time.