Questions and/or Observations on the "Empire" File

BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Questions and/or Observations on the "Empire" File

Post by BLHarrison »

There is a typo in 6.3.1.3 Capturing an Imperial Capital. In the last line it refers to 6.2.1.4 Loss of an Imperial Capital when it is actually 6.3.1.4 (the next section)

In the 6.12 EMPIRE GENERATION section, I suggest that either you add an option that allows for the buying of shipyards out of the Initial Empire Points for Interplanetary and above civilizations or you make a statement that such civilizations automatically have 1 such facility.

In the Empire file Underworld Empires was mentioned as being more fleshed out in a future supplement. Will this expansion include the possibility of "Not So" Underground options such as a true legitimate corporation as opposed to the overly stereotyped evil corporation? Or other similar subunits of an Empire? For an example an Empire is divided into Duchies. A CM might be controlling the Empire as a whole, but one of the players might want to play one of the rulers of a Duchy. Or One player is the King (President, High Puba, Voice of <insert Diety here> ect.) and some of the other players are his/her subordinate rulers
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Questions and/or Observations on the "Empire"

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

BLHarrison wrote:There is a typo in 6.3.1.3 Capturing an Imperial Capital. In the last line it refers to 6.2.1.4 Loss of an Imperial Capital when it is actually 6.3.1.4 (the next section)
I am going to have to double check all of these rules references, especially after moving some of the chapters around. But I will get this particular one fixed.

In the 6.12 EMPIRE GENERATION section, I suggest that either you add an option that allows for the buying of shipyards out of the Initial Empire Points for Interplanetary and above civilizations or you make a statement that such civilizations automatically have 1 such facility.
Empires can purchase Shipyards using their starting pool of economic points, but you are right that Interplanetary and higher should receive some free Shipyards.

What would you think about giving these empires a free number of Shipyards equal to their ETL Multiplier from Step 5? That would give a new Interstellar power anywhere from 3 to 8 free Shipyards at the start of the campaign.

In the Empire file Underworld Empires was mentioned as being more fleshed out in a future supplement. Will this expansion include the possibility of "Not So" Underground options such as a true legitimate corporation as opposed to the overly stereotyped evil corporation? Or other similar subunits of an Empire? For an example an Empire is divided into Duchies. A CM might be controlling the Empire as a whole, but one of the players might want to play one of the rulers of a Duchy. Or One player is the King (President, High Puba, Voice of <insert Diety here> ect.) and some of the other players are his/her subordinate rulers
That is the plan. I had written some initial rules for this about three years ago before being sidelined by other projects, but once the other, more important books are released, I will go back to the Underworld Empires concept and try to create a framework that will allow everything from corporate interests and political factions to pirates and mobsters to be playable. Steve Brindle's original Corruption system will live on, but it will be joined by another statistic for the "good" factions. I called this Influence in the existing rules draft, but now with Imperial Influence existing as a term I will have to find a better name to apply to it.

I think the basic structure of those rules will be similar to what I have written so far for the pirate forces in the Trade & Piracy chapter (which I need to get finished and posted, along with the Supply rules) in that the underworld empires will not pay maintenance on the campaign units they control, but on the flipside will have comparatively low income values. That makes tracking easier, and also will keep these powers from becoming overwhelmingly powerful.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Re: Questions and/or Observations on the "Empire"

Post by BLHarrison »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:
BLHarrison wrote:
Tyrel Lohr wrote: Empires can purchase Shipyards using their starting pool of economic points, but you are right that Interplanetary and higher should receive some free Shipyards.

What would you think about giving these empires a free number of Shipyards equal to their ETL Multiplier from Step 5? That would give a new Interstellar power anywhere from 3 to 8 free Shipyards at the start of the campaign.
That sounds good and reasonable
Tyrel Lohr wrote: How about "Clout"? It can be used to discribe both good and bad influance. BTW I downloaded it a while back and liked it, which lead me to ask the original question
Glad to see you are still chugging along relasing the new stuff for us to view. I eagarly await thier posting.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I ended up working until 11 PM last night, so regrettably I didn't get things finished up. If I am still awake enough when I get done with my work this evening I will try to get something done, but I am already about ready to crash from lack of sleep. This is my week from hell, and it doesn't look like it is going to be getting any better. :(

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]