1st or wait for second?

jwthomp
Cadet
Cadet

1st or wait for second?

Post by jwthomp »

VBAM folks,

I am considering purchasing VBAM v1, but I'm concerned that v2 is just around the corner. I don't mind paying twice if the next version is quite a ways away (say 3+ months?) Or will the v2 alpha be out in a form that is playable (rather than chunks, which are quite awesome but aren't as useful to me as I don't own v1 to get all of the missing pieces).

So basically:

A [ ] Wait because v2 will be out in under 3 months-sh
B [ ] Wait because you'll be able to play the alpha rules soon
C [ ] Buy V1 and start playing now because it is going to be a while

Thank you for your help,

Jeff
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

It will be mid-February at the earliest before we will have 2E in final form and ready for sale. I know there are several players that are in your same position, and we would love to get your feedback during this transition, too, so that problems and concerns can be addressed in the final product.

I have created a new download product on the VBAM Store that allows players to purchase the three core 1E rule books (Campaign Guide, Companion, Menagerie) in PDF for half price:

http://shop.vbamgames.com/product_info. ... ucts_id=80

That would allow you to buy into the system now so that you can start playing and participate in the 2E discussion.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

I think thats a good decision. After all, it would also allow people to see the older rules and the newer playtest rules together without bias towards one or the other. I must admit to a bias towards the 1E rules myself, so am obviously less comfortable with how the 2E rules are turning out, but I can't fault them...
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
jwthomp
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jwthomp »

Thank you Tyler. I have just ordered the 1E set special you put together.

Merry Christmas!

Jeff
HeadClot
Cadet
Cadet

Post by HeadClot »

If I only knew about this sooner... CURSE YOU LULU!
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

If it takes away the sting at all, HeadClot, the 2E Campaign Guide will provide you with the rough equivalent of the 1E Campaign Guide and 1E Companion for about half the price. And 1E VBAM is still going to be a viable game, and I am sure there are going to be some players that will prefer it over 2E.

The ultimate plan right now is also to offer an "Academy" version of the 2E rules that will strip the system back down to roughly 1E level difficulty for players that want a very light-weight campaign system without being overwhelmed by the additional options provided in the 2E Campaign Guide.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]