I think pirate checks should respect AS, not EP

Boneless
Ensign
Ensign

I think pirate checks should respect AS, not EP

Post by Boneless »

Just had a pirate check scared away from a colony fleet because there were two nearly weaponless scouts in the system. Not that I bear the player any ill feelings, but that defenseless colony fleet full of people had it coming after flying across three systems. Alone.

VBAM: Cost:10 Maint:4/2 DV:4 AS:2 AF:0 CR:5 CC:3 Basing:0
Scout (1),
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

The piracy checks in 2E only care about what the system's current Piracy Threat Level and/or trade value are. You no longer have to add up military costs or add modifiers based on the number of civilian fleets that are present.

Looking at the rules that I had written from several months ago, I think I am going to rip them out and make them even more straightforward than they are now by having a system piracy check's base success chance be equal to 100 - (Piracy Threat Level + Trade Value). That way a system with 20 EP of pirates and a trade value of 18 would only have a 38% chance of "failure" -- meaning additional pirates would show up.

Yes, I can simplify things... gah...

That is the current state of development right now. For every step forward I take, I realize that I can simplify/refine what I have already finished and make it "better". Regardless, I will be getting the Colonies and Star Systems rules posted tonight.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]