A couple of Minor Questions

BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

A couple of Minor Questions

Post by BLHarrison »

1. Assuming v2 will have the Fleets (Trade, Colony and Transport) what will the FTL speed be?

2a. Will Milita units still be free?

2b. Will Milita be able to benifit from tech improvements and if so using what values?
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: A couple of Minor Questions

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

BLHarrison wrote:1. Assuming v2 will have the Fleets (Trade, Colony and Transport) what will the FTL speed be?
A single Civilian Fleet unit will replace the individual fleets from 1E. A civilian fleet will have the following stats:

Defense = 1/2 TL (RU)
Engine = 1/2 TL (RU)
FTL = 1/2 TL (RU)
Cargo = 1/2 TL (RU)

This means that an empire with Defense TL 3, Engine TL 2, FTL TL 1, and Cargo TL 5 would have civilian fleets with 2 Defense, 1 Engine, 1 FTL, and 3 Cargo.
2a. Will Milita units still be free?
Yes, Militia units will still be free. They are SIZ 5 ground units that have stats assigned based on the infrastructure values of the planet where they are raised. Militias will have a chance of forming either when a planet is attacked, as the result of a random event, or when rebel Militias appear to try to takeover a colony.
2b. Will Milita be able to benifit from tech improvements and if so using what values?
They will not benefit from tech improvements. Their stats are instead linked to their colony's infrastructure statistics. The reasoning for this ties back into the optional Militia rules from the 1E Companion in that the more developed a colony world is, the more resources and manpower are available to form competent Militia units.

When a Militia is created, the player assigns infrastructure stats to the Militia's combat stats. No one infrastructure stat can be used more than once. This means that a balanced colony will be able to field a pretty respectable ground unit, while those with a single good infrastructure stat will field a pretty lopsided unit that isn't going to be as good.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by BLHarrison »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:
BLHarrison wrote:1. Assuming v2 will have the Fleets (Trade, Colony and Transport) what will the FTL speed be?
A single Civilian Fleet unit will replace the individual fleets from 1E. A civilian fleet will have the following stats:
Based on that I must assume that the single fleet would be assigned the various duties of the old fleets.

If memory serves (I don't have the books open right now) the most expensive costs 20 ep, will that be the new price?
Tyrel Lohr wrote: Defense = 1/2 TL (RU)
Engine = 1/2 TL (RU)
FTL = 1/2 TL (RU)
Cargo = 1/2 TL (RU)

This means that an empire with Defense TL 3, Engine TL 2, FTL TL 1, and Cargo TL 5 would have civilian fleets with 2 Defense, 1 Engine, 1 FTL, and 3 Cargo.
I like this, it also makes certain role playing aspects of powers more likely, for example a trade federation would most likely concentrate it's research on Cargo and FTL (more and faster service = more profit) while a power that does trade, but is paroid about pirates concentrate on Defense.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

BLHarrison wrote:Based on that I must assume that the single fleet would be assigned the various duties of the old fleets.
Correct. There won't be separate colony, transport, and trade fleets this time around; just a single all inclusive civilian fleet. Additionally, the civilian fleets will mostly serve as cheap, no-maintenance transport craft. You can still colonize with them, but rules have been included that allow empires to simply purchase new colonies at systems within their sphere of influence. You would still need the civilian fleets if attempting to colonize planets located outside that zone, however.

Trade fleets are another thing entirely. We will be using a modified version of the trade links system from Federation Admiral in 2E, which means that you simply establish trade links in systems in order to "activate" them for trade purposes. You do have to have a continuous chain of trade links in order to earn income from them, however.

If memory serves (I don't have the books open right now) the most expensive costs 20 ep, will that be the new price?
The cost for civilian fleets is still a bit up in the air. Early testing had them at 1 EP each, but that was when they had fixed stats. I am currently looking at 2-5 EP, and I am currently leaning towards 3 EP. That is middle of the road and a bit expensive for low-tech empires, but considering that you pay no maintenance for them, civilian fleets should pay for themselves over time.
I like this, it also makes certain role playing aspects of powers more likely, for example a trade federation would most likely concentrate it's research on Cargo and FTL (more and faster service = more profit) while a power that does trade, but is paroid about pirates concentrate on Defense.
It was the best solution that I could come up with that is both easy to calculate and limits the amount of stats that have to be tracked. Also, as you pointed out, it allows imperial specialties to automatically be reflected in their civilian fleet designs.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]