I am Back!

Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I am Back!

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I am back from my vacation to the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming (its about a six hour journey north from where I live). I spent the week and a half reading a few books, playing a few games, and (most importantly for this forum) writing more rules for 2E.

I made surprising progress in certain quadrants, which likely means that Jay and Charlie will rip them to shreds when I get back in sync with them later this week.

Right now it is extremely late (I stayed up until 2 AM to get forum posts and responses caught up), but I did want to let people know that I should have some tidbits to post this week, and that I think we are actually coming into the final lap before the rules will be in a state that full-on playtesting can begin. Up until this point it has been piecemeal testing of individual components, but those elements are all coming together. I have written quite a few rules in the last six months that have already been jettisoned as newer, better ideas came to the forefront, and I think 2E will be better for it.

One thing I am starting to sway back the other direction on is retaining Squadrons as a construct outside of combat, but leaving the Task Force as an impromptu device existing solely within the confines of the combat scenario. I will have to tweak the CSCR 2 to make this viable, but it allows me to make piracy work a lot better -- specifically because raids (including commerce, convoy, and colony raids) can then take place outside of the Space Combat Phase. While this may seem crazy at first glance, it opens up some interesting doors that weren't available before, and also allows pirates to be treated not as attacking warships but skulking brigands. It also has the potential to make anti-piracy actions much more interesting, especially in warzones. We shall see how it goes.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]