Let's Play(test): The Vangaan Republic

Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

zyffyr wrote:While this isn't an optimal solution, how about changing Major/Minor to :

Roll an extra d10. On a 9 or 10, major success/failure. Anything else is Minor. Special abilities can potentially modify the range.
It has the roughly the same odds as "numbers ending in 5 or 0", but requires an extra die roll (although I guess you could just roll a third colour-coded dice for it with the first two),

Also, perhaps you need to alter the range for crit success separately from crit failure (say for special characters - on either side),
Gareth Lazelle
duxdarius
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by duxdarius »

Just makes it all easy to determine and include in one roll. Yet graduates the two success levels a bit.
Seen it used to good effect in a few other games
zyffyr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by zyffyr »

The separate die was really there for the "round to 5%, and use a d20" types, as in their case simply reading the final digit will in most cases give radically skewed chances - the only time when both Major Success and Major Failure would be available when converting to "9 or 10 is Major" is when the chance of success are close to 50%.

As for going to '9 or 10', the reason for that is to allow the rules to simply specify modifiers such as "This ability provides a +1 to the roll for Major Success on Exploration rolls" for an Elite Officer with Exploration type skill. If you use the 5/0 option, then such abilities would have to be something to the effect of "7 is now also a Major success".

Going that route would require either a)using a different added number for each ability (which would be a pain to remember), b) only allowing one ability that modifies each type of roll to exist in the game, c)declaring that only one modifier can apply no matter how many you might actually have, or d)adding up how many modifiers you have and checking a table to see which numbers apply.

Negative modifiers can apply as well.
duxdarius
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

howling wasteland

Post by duxdarius »

sure been dead here for a while.
Any tidbits to drum up excitement?
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Re: howling wasteland

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

duxdarius wrote:sure been dead here for a while.
Any tidbits to drum up excitement?
It's on the blog,
Gareth Lazelle
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Sorry, I mean the VBAM Games Blog:

http://blog.vbamgames.com/

Sorry - I keep forgetting that there's no link back to the rest of the VBAM games site from the forums (very annoying),
Gareth Lazelle
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I just fell off the edge of the Earth again the last few months, but I am back now! And I should have at least two good, full weekends of dev time before Origins to get something meaningful posted. I know, I know -- broken record. I just don't want to release any more rules that I think are going to be thrown to the wolves shortly after release.

The great "slash and burn" should see a stripped down, complete version by July, though. All of the main rules are there written -- they just need a knife taken to them now.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
aelius
Commander
Commander

Post by aelius »

I like the new method of keeping track of colonies. This lets you colonize worlds for different reasons; mining, farming or industrial depending on the planetary stats.
A planet with a horrible climate but a great RAW could have a colony placed on it and as the population grows it will produce a hefty income. You cant spend it there, but the money is added to your economy anyway. While the initial colonization would be expensive, you would not need to build any other infrastructure, just let the population grow.
4. Killing is not too good for my enemies
Evil Overlords Survival Guide