Designing a Carrier in 2E

OldnGrey
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by OldnGrey »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:Also, in relation to the K/E/B mix, I am still somewhat on the fence as to what if anything to do with them. There are several different options, the easiest being to just keep them as cheap weapon options that simply allow weapons packages of their related type to be added to a ship, so they would be treated as empty hardpoints to be filled with weapons packages. Another option could be to have a comprehensive optional rule where players define their ship's armaments and defenses to be K, E, or B, but that would means breaking the weapons fire phases down into a phase for each... which really won't work.

-Tyrel
I think that K/E/B would be better kept for smaller table top battles (or VASSEL now) since making a weapon K, E or B adds nothing to the cost.

It would add a fair bit of complication to fleet size battles.

Keep the option where a game setting calls for it (B&K), but ignore it when using 2E for fighting. Ships can still be constructed with K/E/B "Shields" but would be treated as any other shield "Defence Mass" when converting the stats to 2E.

Paul
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

We will probably hold off worrying about any "official" KEB conversions on the 2E side until after the main rules are done and we take a look at adapting the combat aspects of the new CSCR to a simple tabletop mass combat system (which the CSCR essentially is right now, we would just be connecting the dots and providing an extra layer of rules that would convert it into a limited tactical system). When or if that is ever going to happen is still up in the air. If we get the urge to do it we will, but I doubt it will be a big enough expansion to warrant publishing -- so if it happens, it will likely be a web extra for people to tack onto the CSCR in those instances where they want to fight out the battle, but don't want to get out a heavier tactical combat system.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

This is looking good... I'm really enjoying the new ship design rules. Something that was really lacking in the 1E rule system. Once the 2E system is all figured out, it would be cool to have a tactical game to fall back on for ship combats if the players would like to do.

I think having the KEB ssytem would be great for a tactical game, but might be too much to deal with in the basic 2E game. Of course, I'm partial to the idea of forcing players to choose between the three weapon types (and defenses).

-Bren
OldnGrey
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by OldnGrey »

Tyrel
I wonder if you could enlighten me on the following stats please, sorry if I am getting a bit ahead of things. I have the other stats in this thread entered into the shipyard but I am still missing at least four things.
ECM, ECCM, Electronic Warfare and Jamming.
For the 1st edition / Starmada (X) AE I have:
ECM (became part of countermeasures) was 5% of hull mass.
ECCM, Not mentioned but there was an advanced ECM at 10% hull mass.
Electronic Warfare system (became part of Fire Control) was 5% hull mass.
Jamming 5% hull mass (Countermeasures) + (100 hull mass (Science) per Jamming level.)
Have you seen the latest shipyard yet?
Paul
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Just so everyone knows, Tyrel is off on vacation in the wilderness that is Wyoming. He should be back in about a week. :)
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Charles Lewis wrote:Just so everyone knows, Tyrel is off on vacation in the wilderness that is Wyoming. He should be back in about a week. :)
Well put! (having spent a few days in that wild, wonderful state a few years ago.

Doesn't he owe us some pizza/beers at one of his local eateries (if we ever visit hehe)?
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

OldnGrey wrote:Tyrel
I wonder if you could enlighten me on the following stats please, sorry if I am getting a bit ahead of things. I have the other stats in this thread entered into the shipyard but I am still missing at least four things.
I need to download the latest version of the shipyard and check it out, then I should be able to give you better answers. Until then, I think that the VBAM 2E ECM (Electronic Protection) and Jammer would translate into Starmada AE Countermeasures, while ECCM (Electronic Attack) matches with AE's Fire Control. Electronic Warfare could become either Countermeasures or Fire Control, but I will have to think on that one. I have been meaning to reevaluate that tech, anyway, to see if it is worth keeping around or else trying to combine its effects into Electronic Attack somehow.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
OldnGrey
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by OldnGrey »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:
I need to download the latest version of the shipyard and check it out, then I should be able to give you better answers. Until then, I think that the VBAM 2E ECM (Electronic Protection) and Jammer would translate into Starmada AE Countermeasures, while ECCM (Electronic Attack) matches with AE's Fire Control. Electronic Warfare could become either Countermeasures or Fire Control, but I will have to think on that one. I have been meaning to reevaluate that tech, anyway, to see if it is worth keeping around or else trying to combine its effects into Electronic Attack somehow.

-Tyrel
It was the merging of these in Starmada AE that gave me problems converting Starmada AE ships to VBAM stats. The shipyard threw up scouts etc when they were not wanted. Starmada X gave more options and therefore for VBAM 1E conversion was easier.

I notice from the 2E Fleets thread that you added Endurance which I presume is 60 mass per level from the examples.
I also notice that the SIZ mass is different so the shipyard is wrong at the moment in the 2E section.

Paul