Where Did 2E Go?

Iron Sky
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Where Did 2E Go?

Post by Iron Sky »

I'm just curious where everything went. It seemed the playtest was off to a good start, then a few issues with the system that had cropped up caused a re-write/re-draft that what seemed to be an 80% complete rule set and put it back to 50%.

Personally, I thought the system that we started to playtest with needed a few tweaks and clarifications to the otherwise solid system and it would have been ready to ship; the last playtest draft seemed to be a huge step back away from codifying towards concept. Where is 2E at now? Recogitating? Stalled? Back-burner? Scrapped? I'm still down to playtest if it's still wanted...
Last edited by Iron Sky on Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Re: Where Did 2E Go?

Post by PaulB »

Don't really play the game myself but been perusing the forums lately and I notice in the Federation Admiral forum they mention on Jan 3rd the plan is to finish up 2E and get it out the door. Mind you that was a few months back so, not sure.

I'm sure there's a greater chance of 2E getting finished before FA is that's for sure.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

I haven't been working on my stuff at all (for some web tools). Might have gotten past the crazy at work now, so I might have some more time evenings and weekends.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

2E's development has had a lot of these rocky start-stop points for awhile now, which is made worse by my work schedule. Basically what happened is that I saw quite a few things that needed to be addressed based on the previous round of playtesting. However, I usually only have weekends to do any kind of major development work on VBAM, and during the first three or four months of the year a good chunk of my free time is eaten up by financial and tax preparation work. Jay ended up switching jobs in that time, too, which didn't help matters.

I've been back to work on the rules more or less full time since April 15. This meant revisiting what I had before and finishing up filling in the gaps. The latter led to me wanting to make some changes to make it easier for new players, as that was a major issue and concern with the previous draft. The end result is that I have most of the updated rules fleshed out, and I just need to drop them in and we should be ready to go. I only have one commitment this weekend (Eurovision viewing party), and otherwise I'll be working on getting those final pieces of the puzzle squared away. I was hoping to have that done *last* weekend, but ended up running into a few knock-on effects that I wanted to work through mentally before I committed any major changes.

Playtesters can expect an updated rule set within the next week, and players in the Glorious Stars playtest will be receiving a copy at the same time. Then we can work on running things through a final test and seeing where we're at.

I'm not worrying about the optional rules at this point, although most can be reconditioned fairly quickly once I'm sure that the main book is sound.

For players that were in the playtest earlier this year, the length of the main rules has been cut down to about 70-80 pages (compared to the 150-200 that they were at before). This has been achieved by pulling out some rules and making the basic rules more, well, basic, and moving the meatier sections to the optional rules.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]