General Discussion
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Admiral-level system-generation

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

A little something to take the hassle out of Admiral-level system generation:

http://www.neostar.org.uk/rpg/vbam_syst ... or_1.0.zip

The little program linked above is a little rough about the edges (making it pretty is only a priority when it works, right?), but it will take a lot of the stress out of generating systems - especially in an exploration campaign, where you may need to generate a lot!

The interface couldn't be simpler - simply decide whether the system is to include a Homeworld or not by checking the checkbox, and hit "Generate System". Each click of Generate System will create a new system using the full rules. Once generated the system text can be copied and pasted into a text-editor of your choice.

To install the program, download the zip-file and extract the contents somewhere convenient. Then simply double-click on "setup.exe". The program will install, and include a start-menu entry to launch the program. Uninstall it using the control panel in the usual way.

All the best,
Gareth Lazelle
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

That is just plain fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing your efforts with everyone. :)

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, Gareth's lovely app requires the installation of .NET 3.5 SP1.

Works like a dream. I'll have to talk to Tyrel about getting you to do a 2E version!
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Charles Lewis wrote:BTW, in case anyone is wondering, Gareth's lovely app requires the installation of .NET 3.5 SP1.
Uh... Yes, sorry - guess you just get used to having these things without even thinking about it...
Charles Lewis wrote:Works like a dream. I'll have to talk to Tyrel about getting you to do a 2E version!
By all means,
Gareth Lazelle
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

The only reason I mention it is because the last place I worked had a management system that was tied .NET 1. You couldn't upgrade .NET or the system wouldn't work.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Charles Lewis wrote:The only reason I mention it is because the last place I worked had a management system that was tied .NET 1. You couldn't upgrade .NET or the system wouldn't work.
Oh, you mean likes QuickBooks :?

I still cannot fathom why some high-dollar software products love to use .NET for things. It makes sense for programs like this, but QuickBooks? Really?

"My QuickBooks doesn't work anymore... oh look, I did a Windows update and it installed a new version of the .NET Framework. Oh, look, it also corrupted .NET so that you can't install or reinstall it. This is fun."

:(

I shouldn't have bad mouthed .NET -- now the .NET installer has died!
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:I shouldn't have bad mouthed .NET -- now the .NET installer has died!
Maybe not...it was really slow when I did it.
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

I'm sure some copies of Visual Studio let you use an older version of .NET (as old as 2.0 anyway), but not it seems the version I have (possibly because I am using the freebie Express edition),

Sorry!
Gareth Lazelle
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I just tried reinstalling it, and it installed and opened instantly. Bwhaha? I'm not complaining, but that is just bizarre. Of course, I haven't restarted after the supposedly failed .NET Framework 3.5 install, so that might make a difference.

The program is very neat! I like that the results are presented as text, so that they can be copied and pasted into another document.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]