2nd Edition progress?

General Discussion
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: 2nd Edition progress?

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

"I'm giving it all she's got, Captain. I canna give you any more!" :)

I spent a few hours this evening reviewing what condition First Contact (2e version of the Menagerie) is in based on where the 2e Campaign Guide ended up, and things look promising. Most of the rules that were already written during the development period are still sound, and now it's just a case or rearranging them into a cohesive form.

The design decision from the last six months are going to have lasting effects on how we approach future products. This means breaking the rules down to be easier to handle, and removing extra "levers" that only add complexity without any meaningful increase in fun value.

For example, the Orders of Life that I had planned for First Contact are being folded back in as traits, and the trait system itself is going to eliminate a lot of the "trap" options that we've discovered over the years. I'm also eliminating the concept of having multiple levels of a trait, so everything will have one flat effect. The net effect is that we can better control the outcomes and provide a bit wider range of traits than before.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: 2nd Edition progress?

Post by mwaschak »

Tyrel Lohr wrote: The design decision from the last six months are going to have lasting effects on how we approach future products. This means breaking the rules down to be easier to handle, and removing extra "levers" that only add complexity without any meaningful increase in fun value.
That was pretty important for us to realize too. I think around the time the Dilgar playtest started we had a better idea of what we wanted from the core book because we knew what we wanted the system to look like a few years down the road; simple enough at the core level and still expandable. We also realized how many projects we had pent up and ready to go, including a few more that will get announced soon enough.
Tyrel Lohr wrote: A first look at Jay's new With a Purpose game is now up on the web site! Take a look to find out more about this objective/mission based rules expansion.
I was on vacation and now back in action. I should be reaching out to the core playtesting group this week about another round of playtesting with WAP at its core. We want to keep the release schedule we discussed and you can see what we have been up to the last few years. A lot of our ideas required 2e to be ready to go and that was no small task.

-Jay