Vacation time!

General Discussion
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Vacation time!

Post by OneMadOgre »

Got some combat rules I could use to code out a combat simulator?
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Re: Vacation time!

Post by OneMadOgre »

Been fun to have some time to code again. Decided to layout the system detail page a little different. I liked the planets orbiting stars, but I think this might actually be a better interface, something to show a Goldilocks zone.
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-1.jpg
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-1.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Good news is that I have (mostly) gotten the fog of war working.

Bad news is that I need to retool the data model to remove BIO. :) (I knew that was coming for a while, just left it in, in case it got back in.)

Once I retool BIO and planet creation back to star instead of star system (binary systems had planets attached to the system instead of the star), I'm going to work on getting starship combat functional. I'm looking forward to running some simulations.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Pulling out BIO went easier than I had thought. Food is now free!!!

I am thinking that this screen needs me to figure out how to put a tactical map of where this system is in context to the star systems that are around it.

Open to thoughts and feedback. (I haven't run a conversion yet out of my home-grown ship construction to VBAM. That's coming, but that is why you see ships with Hull, Armor, Shield, Speed, etc.)
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-2.jpg
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-2.jpg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 5616 times
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Context map in place now. Also got the settled planet displaying properly.

Some family events this afternoon. Really hoping to get some code around moving ships here this evening.

Feedback most welcome still!
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-3.jpg
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-3.jpg (111.31 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Looks amazing!
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

It's a slow day. I'm making very little progress and showing my stripes as a pointy haired boss now instead of an actual software engineer. But when I figure it out, we should have both a turn counter and the ability to move ships (and soon afterwards, task forces and fleets)
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Finally!

Ships now can properly get orders to patrol a system or move to a new system.
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-4.jpg
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-4.jpg (109.87 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

A little lull. Going to take the Ogrelings and AnOgresWife out for the weekend. More progress on Monday.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

A little progress today.

Exploration is now working, so you can remember jump lanes out of the systems you've discovered.
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-5.jpg
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-5.jpg (98.85 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

Might I suggest cropping the images so we don't see the tabs bar of your browser?
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Update today without the screenshot. It's not that different. :)

Settlements now create out of convoys correctly, also can have productivity and morale incremented as well. That will tie into the turn repository I started. That should be able to start turn processing sometime tomorrow which should be fun for rolling for settlement census increases.

I'm going to try to get to a point where I can publish to Azure tomorrow, so more of you can play with it. Screenshots don't do any justice to the pan and zoom on the star maps.

Some caveats...
* Play aid still has the planet creation from previous draft rulesets in it. Eventually there will just be one planet with all of the systems's raw and carry placed on it instead of various planets. (I never got moons working)
* Play aid is still set with my house ruled ship classes. Once I understand the VBAM ship generation rules, I'll swap those in.
* Play aid still allows you to view any star system on the detail page, regardless of if you have a unit in that system or not.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Bah. A Hiccup.

I was trying to get the supply lines in. I don't have a good way yet to figure out how to ask for jumplanes that are two deep from the parent settlement. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but it's definitely slowing me down.

Supply routes do now trace for the player who's viewing. In this screenshot, we're logged in as Blue, so we see all of the jump lanes that he's explored, with a blue under glow if the route is currently in supply.

The Yellow circles mark the other player's settlements. My inclination is to only make those show up if they are on the explored system list of the viewing player. I could be talked into it either way really. Either your surveillance picks up the signals and properly marks them, or it can't.
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-6.jpg
shatteredgalaxyDec2014-6.jpg (88.51 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Happy New Year.

http://shatteredgalaxy.azurewebsites.net/

It's still in a pretty ragged shape. But if you want to send me the gmail account or regular account name you made on the site (and a color) I will set you as a player and you can create settlements.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Looking really good, OneMadOgre! And I promise to stop changing the rules on you constantly :)
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]