Glorious Stars Play Aid Website - Alpha

Playtesting & Rules Development
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Re: Glorious Stars Play Aid Website - Alpha

Post by OneMadOgre »

Shipyard Thoughts....

I'm thinking that shipyards on the web playaid are a fairly central theme and probably deserve their own treatments. Seems like a player would want to know....

* How many slots on my Shipyard are consumed with current construction.
* When will the current construction complete?
* How much do I have left on the current construction? (conversely, how much have I spent)

My remembering is that each shipyard has 10 slots and every CommandCost of the unit requires a slot. So a TL3 (C$2,M$.1,CC$1) Corvette needs 1 slot; and a TL5 (C$12,M$.6,CC$3) Heavy Cruiser requires three slots.

Sound about right? What else would you want to see in your shipyard interface? I'm thinking maybe...
* What fleet will this unit be assigned to after completion?
* Current scrap value of the construction bay?
* Current tech scrap value of the construction bay?
* Do I blend the shipyard construction with planet manufacturing, or should they be separate do you think? (Do you want to see atmo Flights being built right next to the Heavy Carrier and the Infantry?)

Last question... Can you build a starbase unit without a shipyard?
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

http://vbam2.azurewebsites.net/vbamships was working for me for a while but now it's showing

Code: Select all

An error occurred while processing your request.
I'm logged in and showing as "House Phoenix" so unsure if I've screwed something up or what.

EDIT: Fixed it. I logged out and then logged back in. Leaving this here in case anyone else sees the same issue.
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Sometimes, the database at Azure is sleeping too and it takes a nudge to wake up again. That's what I get for using the free trial.

But the price was right!

Edit:

The other thing I should probably mention, is the website is looking to be a responsive HTML5/CSS3 environment. I'm not always the best at it, I know I have some trouble with the tablet interface on the map to grab a new system, but it should resolve better now on both the tablet and the phone now. Phone is certainly lagging behind, but the idea would be that you can log in from the phone and process moves and orders on the go once I'm out of alpha.
Last edited by OneMadOgre on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

I think I remember seeing a mail or posting (which I can't find now) that you actually need TRANSPORT FLEETS to build a Starbase unit (each such fleet in the system lets you funnel 10 EP per turn toward the construction cost), and that a shipyard is neither necessary nor sufficient for Starbase construction.

But that might only be for construction in systems where the player does not have a colony.

Probably best asked as a rules question in the appropriate thread :)
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
Iron Sky
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Sky »

My email is malexanderaustin@gmail account for House Echelon.

Echelon is named "Enchelon" on the map.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Fixed the spelling. What I see in the database is just the OAuth key that Google says is valid for the website. I need you to click on the login link and then the google button. Then I'll see you in the database and I can grant access to the roles.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Ogres are sleepy. Up too early this morning wanting to work on this.

I'm thinking about the shipyard now. Here's the SVG drawing for what I'm thinking of doing.

http://vbam2.azurewebsites.net/home/testsvg

In general I'm thinking of those ten berths as the ten docks. I'm thinking of representing the EP spent v. EP needed in the little circles. Maybe with a dotted line on the longer ones to bisect the circles to show where it can be maxed out for a particular turn.

I'm also thinking that a click on the ship in the berth should bring you to the management of that ship after it's complete, things like EPScrap, Repair, TechScrap, Build, Rename, AssignFleet

Thoughts? I'm really not sure how this should lay out. Since I'm the rookie to the game, I want to ask for feedback.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

I love the graphic! It looks totally badass. The only thing I'd say it's missing is a class-name link next to each hull in progress, ideally hyperlinked through to the ship-design view.

Maybe ships under construction >1 CC, thus requiring multiple shipyard slots, should get represented graphically rather than just having subsequent slots skipped? e.g.

A = center the ship over the set of dock spaces it occupies, and draw a line from the nearest hull vertex that branches out to indicate all occupied spaces

B = align the ship with its topmost dock space, and draw a branching line from the center to indicate all occupied spaces

Neither of these does a great job when the ship's occupied spaces "wrap around" to the other side of the graphic, so maybe a simple red X in "empty but used" dock spaces is cleaner.
-Patrick
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Already in:
House Kestrel
House Crayton
House Far Stars
House Phoenix

Added just now:
House Echelon
House Aigle
House Dorgoth

Have been recognized as players and connected to their user identity. You'll see your username has changed to the House name. You still log in with Google, it's just that the user profile name has been updated.
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

I'm wondering if I take your idea and just lengthen the shipyard so ships are only constructed on one side. Then take the other side and give a summary of the units being built.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot link: http://vbam2.azurewebsites.net/home/testsvg
nimrodd
Commander
Commander

Post by nimrodd »

OneMadOgre wrote:Already in:
Have been recognized as players and connected to their user identity. You'll see your username has changed to the House name. You still log in with Google, it's just that the user profile name has been updated.
I just logged in as jimmycsimpson. Can you connect that to House Trask.
Jimmy Simpson
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

Done!

Edit/Update:

I have the shipyard talking to the database. I want to wire up some other pieces before I publish it. I ended up aligning the shipyard totally vertically. I have the lines wired up for when a ship construction needs more than one berth to be built.

Thanks for getting registered, those of you who have done it. If I could seed the database with your IDs, I would, but I really like the idea of just having you use your Google ID, and Google doesn't let me seed the database on your behalf. (Which, from a security prospective is fantastic really.)
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

So will the ship types be preloaded, or do we each manually enter them?
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

OneMadOgre wrote:I'm wondering if I take your idea and just lengthen the shipyard so ships are only constructed on one side. Then take the other side and give a summary of the units being built.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot link: http://vbam2.azurewebsites.net/home/testsvg
Yeah, that looks super-rad :)
-Patrick
OneMadOgre
Commander
Commander

Post by OneMadOgre »

I'll actually end up pre-loading ships with a database dump. The access now is purely for familiarity and to allow people to give feedback. Having said that, I don't believe I'm as close to being ready with the website as the rules are close to being ready to play. I'm going to be racing to catch up, so I'd be prepared to track your empire outside of the website as well for at least the first turn or so.