1E or 2E

General Discussion
nedpatrick
Cadet
Cadet

1E or 2E

Post by nedpatrick »

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm really interest in VBAM as I am a sci-fi junkie and I have always wanted to play a full scale space empire simulation. I'm just not sure if I should go ahead and get the 1st edition rules now or wait for the second edition to come out. Perhaps some veteran players could give me some advice.
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Re: 1E or 2E

Post by Emiricol »

My advice is to go ahead and get 1E. It is ideally suited for what you describe. 2E is very much in the works, but it is being completed in the designer's rather scarce free time so it's slow going.

To see some great examples of 1E "campaign diaries", our term for fluff+crunch writeups of games, check out the Yahoo group's files section. There's several there, mine included. They make for fun reading, but ignore the mechanics portions; they'll sound like Greek until you get the rules ;)
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

You are in the right place! We have a great group of gamers here and you will find some interesting discussions all through the forums. As Emiricol mentioned, there are a lot of good campaign diaries out there and a ton of past PBEM games that can be reviewed (the 12 player Wing Commander game or Tyrel's Starlight campaign comes to mind). In fact, I am even running a local game with FASB Edition now (which is essentially 1e).

When we discussed the move to 2e we also made the decision to fully support the 1e material. So if you invest in any of our books you won't be buying a dead game system. We are still actively answering questions from 1e players who are happy to keep playing the original (which is almost ten years old now) and plan to keep doing so as long as there is interest. With that said the 2e material is coming along nicely and there are a number of threads here that can give you an idea of what that will look like.

-Jay
nedpatrick
Cadet
Cadet

Post by nedpatrick »

Thanks, placed my order last night!
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Hooray!

*One-Of-Us*

*One-Of-Us*

Welcome to the neighborhood.
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
nedpatrick
Cadet
Cadet

Post by nedpatrick »

Is there an opponent finder thread?
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

Not per se, but if you post that you want an opponent (or opponents) you should get response. Email games are probably the most common way this game is played ;) Give it time to get responses, a lot of people only check in at these forums sporadically.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

One of the projects that I still want to work on after 2E is finished is a redux of 1E to update the rules, integrate errata, etc. I'm not sure when or if that will happen, but we do plan on continuing to support 1E for as long as we can remember how the rules functioned :)
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]