Hello, Can I ask for some advice ..

General Discussion
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Re: Hello, Can I ask for some advice ..

Post by Brennall »

Its fine, I will merely retrofit the commodore solution to the captain system as well as the settings I added for you :)

At some point I need to do the Admiral work also .. but I haven't really seen too many people using the Admiral settings, so I haven't put too much effort in :)

I am very tempted to jump the gun and do a 2e system generator using the current statistics in the playtest.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

I'd love to see that. I might start running a solo 2E playtest exploration campaign if I could use your tool to generate new systems for myself. I think the follow-up scenario to my Wolves game I'm running now will probably use the 2E rules as well, in whatever form they exist at that time.
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
Vandervecken
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Vandervecken »

I don't have the Campaign Companion (not yet at least). So what is (or can be) added to Sys Gen for Admiral, compared to Commodore Sys Gen. Also, all you active peeps monitoring this Forum .. Can you give some short comments on why you use or don't use Admiral in your campaigns?
I really love a very, Very, VERY detailed System generation system as long as it doesn't slow down actual game play too much. In a GM'ed game, system generation can be done before the actual game starts, which helps. And for 'on the fly' games and solo games, some truely remarkable people like Brennall and others can make stuff like we see here to make the System Generation arena ... well, "Merciful and Quick".
I weary of the Chase. Wait for me. I shall be merciful and Quick.
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

I used the Commodore system for all of my solo campaigns as a compromise between having more detailed systems, but saving a few steps in system generation that didn't really impact gameplay. With automated tools, I'd probably give serious consideration to bumping up to Admiral because I do like the flava. :)
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Quick question: does your generator take into account the Fair Climate, Rich in Minerals, Rich in Metals, etc. System Traits already in the RAW / Climate / CC system stats, or do those need to be applied after the fact?

EDIT: Examining your Javascript directly for the Captain level, as I should have thought to do in the first place :roll: shows that yes, the stat-modifying special traits do include stats. Likewise the moons affect system stats too, which is cool! Thanks. I'm not sure how best to apply the results of a "roll twice" though, unfortunately.

Could you see your way clear to open up RAW and Carrying Capacity to modification on the querystring too?
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

Sorry for the delay!!

I was concentrating on the 2esysgen and had not noticed people posting here.

@ Vandervecken : Thanks for the nice comment :) ... I will get Admiral sorted this weekend hopefully, which will give you very detailed stats for Star Systems.

@ Charles Lewis : Well with luck and a following wind I should be able to give you the detail you crave in Admiral with a generation time in a decent browser of sub 2 seconds.

@ virtutis.umbra : Sure can open them up, should get something done tomorrow for that :)

In general I have been working on extending the "language" theming and building an interface so the webapp will work better on mobile devices (iPad, iPod, iPhone, Android) without needed to "reload" the page. Might even put in stuff like "swipe" to generate new system etc.

It would be amusing if VBAM was to have Android and iOS support for the game.

I had also been playing around with a 2e unit generator, that did all of the maths in a webapp. Such as adding special abilities etc.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Brennall wrote:I had also been playing around with a 2e unit generator, that did all of the maths in a webapp. Such as adding special abilities etc.
Oh, my players would LOVE this. :)
-Patrick
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

captain sysgen has been altered to support the following

&raw=
&rawmod=
&capacity=
&capacitymod=

&raw and &capacity will overwrite the systems normal raw and capacity values respectively.

&rawmod and &capacitymod will modify the systems normal raw and capacity values by the amount entered.

So to increase a systems Raw by two ... we can use &rawmod=2
to decrease Capacity by three ... we can use &capacitymod=-3

To change a systems Raw to be five no matter what ... we can use &raw=5
to change a systems Capacity to be eleven no matter what ... we can use &capacity=11

This should cover what you were looking for virtutis.umbra.

Enjoy :)
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Fantastic. This really is an awesome help to our game. Thanks!
-Patrick
Vandervecken
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Vandervecken »

Thanks Brennall for your continued work on these projects ! I'm a little envious, as I can barely put 'Nested IF statements' and 'HLOOKUP tables' in my own space game's spreadsheets. You, Virtutis, and others are really helping us all with these and other applications. But don't get burned-out ... we'd like to have you folk'es insight and qualities for a looonnnnggggg time.
I weary of the Chase. Wait for me. I shall be merciful and Quick.
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

I am not burning out yet ... I have been working on a 2E Shipgen program in the background to help people with 2E ship and flight design.

The one thing that is happening is that I am stalling on 1E stuff as I prefer the look of the 2E systems. So I am quite eager to see where that all goes.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Your 2E system generator looks extremely awesome, Brennall. Good work :)

I have a super-crazy idea that might help simplify things for you (or perhaps just make it worse?)

... it seems to me the differences between 1E and 2E system generation are all additive, i.e. 2E only adds new system stats / utilization numbers and doesn't remove anything that's present in 1E. Is that accurate? If so, what about a "&firstedition=true" flag on the 2E system generator that would hide the new stuff, like Orbital/Bio/Science and Shipyards/Agriculture/Tech/Intel? Then you'd only need to maintain one set of generators going forward.
-Patrick