Client States

General Discussion
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Client States

Post by Emiricol »

Been a while and 2E is coming up, so here's a question. Say my empire forced another to concede, or conquered it. Would it be possible to dictate, say, 10% of their GDP must go to purchasing units/ships and maintaining them, which would be under my direct control, and require all their systems to have occupation forces of my infantry, and give me control over their foreign diplomacy? Thinking client state a la Roman Empire allies. Other ideas on how to model that much welcome.

The idea is that their tech level and designs and such don't advance automatically to my level just because they were conquered, but would require less occupation than a simple conquest would (but would contribute less to my empire in general).
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Client States

Post by mwaschak »

I think this is where the Objective System (coming in FA, then 2e) kicks in. I liked the campaigns where we did not have player elimination, just capitulation. So if you are forced to surrender in a war and give up (let's say 50%) part of the GDP, the player can still do something with the Empire. There should probably be a list of restrictions from the governing empire, like nothing larger than a police ship, X armies, and an amount of service from all citizens in the governing empire.

But, depending on the game, the Objective System would give that subjugated empire some real goals. So if the Haur are crushed under the CoM, they may still want to advance their tech agenda and maybe fund some kind of project to help their citizens escape to the rim.

-Jay