Got it! (And any upcoming games for newbies?)

General Discussion
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Got it! (And any upcoming games for newbies?)

Post by gambler »

So VBAM showed up at my door on Saturday. I've begun looking through the base rulebook (I also got the CM guide, The Menagerie, and the Boltians and Kuirassian sourcebook).

Looks like a lot of fun, and I'm already creating a universe in my head and on paper (combined with Starmada's combat system). As is usual, my 'initial' project is ambitious. Four created races to start with, with basic biology, government, history, ship types. I plan to run all four from the start with any NPEs that show up being incorporated.

While that's my initial project, it won't be my initial solitaire game, which will probably be a basic Exploration campaign to get a solid idea of how the game works.

I'd also be interested in joining a new campaign geared to new players if any of those are about to occur (as I think was mentioned in another thread). Is there a specific place to find information about upcoming games?
--
The cake is a lie.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Upcoming Games

Post by mwaschak »

Hello!

There is the Dilgar Invasions, but that is a few months off yet. There is also the new game being discussed based on Like Cherry Blossoms on Water that is being discussed on the list. You did hit on a good point that we probably need a section to help find and organize games :idea: .

-Jay
Leo_Vs_Aidan
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Got it! (And any upcoming games for newbies?)

Post by Leo_Vs_Aidan »

gambler wrote:I'd also be interested in joining a new campaign geared to new players if any of those are about to occur (as I think was mentioned in another thread). Is there a specific place to find information about upcoming games?
I am starting Like Cherry Blossoms on Water a campaign, while it is not aimed at new players over half my players are newbies.
"Put a sane man in a room on his own, with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time before he puts it on his head."

"There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Re: Upcoming Games

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

mwaschak wrote:Hello!

There is the Dilgar Invasions, but that is a few months off yet. There is also the new game being discussed based on Like Cherry Blossoms on Water that is being discussed on the list. You did hit on a good point that we probably need a section to help find and organize games :idea: .

-Jay
Wait a minute...Dilgar Invasions? :o
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Upcoming Games

Post by mwaschak »

murtalianconfederacy wrote: Wait a minute...Dilgar Invasions? :o
Oh yes, but I am not quite ready. I still need to get the source right. It will probably be on scale with the current WC game, so about 14 players or so.

-Jay
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gambler »

Leo_vs_Aidan: Any idea about how many turns a week you're planning? I'm tempted, but I'm thinking I might be better off starting with a simpler campaign (even a solitaire one) before diving into a more intense campaign.

Robert
--
The cake is a lie.
Leo_Vs_Aidan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Leo_Vs_Aidan »

gambler wrote:Leo_vs_Aidan: Any idea about how many turns a week you're planning? I'm tempted, but I'm thinking I might be better off starting with a simpler campaign (even a solitaire one) before diving into a more intense campaign.

Robert
To start with I was thinking 1 turn every 10-14 day until people had the hang of it then 1 turn a week.
"Put a sane man in a room on his own, with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time before he puts it on his head."

"There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

gambler wrote:Leo_vs_Aidan: Any idea about how many turns a week you're planning? I'm tempted, but I'm thinking I might be better off starting with a simpler campaign (even a solitaire one) before diving into a more intense campaign.

Robert

Robert,

Yield to temptation, best way to learn is jump in with both feet. :wink:

Honestly once you get your initial startup stuff done (which does take some serious planning and so forth in this particular setting) the actual turns aren't too involved (in my opinion/experience). And with over 50% newbies, I'm sure Leo_vs_Aidan will keep things on a "user friendly" schedule.

Regardless, welcome to the VBAM circle and I hope you enjoy the system as much as I and every else here does.

-Mark
ronin
Cadet
Cadet

Post by ronin »

Leo_Vs_Aidan wrote:

Robert
To start with I was thinking 1 turn every 10-14 day until people had the hang of it then 1 turn a week.

join in it be fun :) plus i a beginer too as the house of matsu 8)
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gambler »

We'll see... It is tempting. I'm probably going to try to start up a game this weekend solitaire to get a handle on how it works and then see if I think I can join in this one.
--
The cake is a lie.
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gambler »

I didn't get a chance to mess with the system this weekend or week, although I've continued to read the rulebooks. I'll have to take a pass on the "Like Cherry Blossoms on Water" campaign due to the small amount of free time I'll have the next few weeks to spend on it. But I'll follow the campaign with interest!
--
The cake is a lie.