Rise of the Kingdom (FINISHED)

Campaign Diaries & After Action Reports (AARs)
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Call for help

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

I'm looking for good-sounding Texan names for the Lone Star Union. Its an IND-3 power that is based (loosely) on Texas. So, I'm looking for names that are well-known in Texan history.
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Re: Republic of Neue Berlin

Post by ianstead »

murtalianconfederacy wrote:
Vektor (need a more appropriate name than this)
Class: MF, Cost: 1/2, Maintenance: 1/12, DV: 2, AS: 1, AF: 2
The RSA have an assualt Rifle called the Vektor.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as26-e.htm

Very futuristic looking eh>? Nah sure Vektors fine for a Germanic name.
Suppose Viktor is more russian>?

Nice report btw.
nimrodd
Commander
Commander

Re: Call for help

Post by nimrodd »

murtalianconfederacy wrote:I'm looking for good-sounding Texan names for the Lone Star Union. Its an IND-3 power that is based (loosely) on Texas. So, I'm looking for names that are well-known in Texan history.
Well, there are the standards:
Stephen F. Austin
Davie Crocket
Jim Bowie
Sam Houston
William B. Travis

Other lesser known people:
Erastus "Deaf" Smith (good name for a Scout)
Ed Burleson
José Navarro
James Fannin
Ben Milam
Juan Seguín
Mirabeau B. Lamar

Battlefields:
Alamo
San Jacinto
Bexar
Gonzales
Concepcion
Goliad

Texas Rangers:
John Coffee Hays
Samuel Walker
Benjamin McCulloch
William "Bigfoot" Wallace
John "Rip" Ford
Leander McNelly
Frank Hamer
Bill McDonald
Bob Crowder

Here is something to start with.
Jimmy Simpson
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Re: Call for help

nimrodd wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote:I'm looking for good-sounding Texan names for the Lone Star Union. Its an IND-3 power that is based (loosely) on Texas. So, I'm looking for names that are well-known in Texan history.
Well, there are the standards:
Stephen F. Austin
Davie Crocket
Jim Bowie
Sam Houston
William B. Travis

Other lesser known people:
Erastus "Deaf" Smith (good name for a Scout)
Ed Burleson
José Navarro
James Fannin
Ben Milam
Juan Seguín
Mirabeau B. Lamar

Battlefields:
Alamo
San Jacinto
Bexar
Gonzales
Concepcion
Goliad

Texas Rangers:
John Coffee Hays
Samuel Walker
Benjamin McCulloch
William "Bigfoot" Wallace
John "Rip" Ford
Leander McNelly
Frank Hamer
Bill McDonald
Bob Crowder

Here is something to start with.
Thanks for that. Some of the names look better than the place names I'd assigned to them.

I had pencilled in a few place names for the ships, but I see at least one thats changing.
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Towrenan Union

Except for a ground Macro tech of -1, all other Macro techs are at 0

SHIPS
Towrena-class BC

Cost: 16, Maintenance: 3/2, DV: 15, AS: 15, AF: 7, CR: 12, CC: 4. BP: 8
The Towrena is the heavy brawler of the Union Navy, designed with a 'no frills' approach to ship design
Gotorfiel-class ETN

Cost: 15, Maintenance: 4/1, DV: 15, AS: 8, AF: 0, CR: 12, CC: 4, Notes: Scout (2), Tender (6), Ballistic. BP: 3
The Gotorfiel is the attack boat carrier of the Union Navy, dropping off six attack boats to aid the fleet, with the missile batteries also providing a little more crunch power
Shlaher-class CL

Cost: 9, Maintenance: 2/4, DV: 8, AS: 8, AF: 5, CR: 7, CC: 3. BP: 5
The Shlaher is almost like a smaller version of the Towrena. The Towrenans swap speed for protection, and nowhere is this more apparent than the Shlaher.
Welofiel-class CVL

Cost: 6, Maintenance: 3/2, DV: 8, AS: 0, AF: 0, CR: 7, CC: 3, Basing: 12 (standard), Notes: Carrier. BP: 0
An unarmed vessel, the Welofiel is the primary carrier, dropping twelve flights of arguably the best fighters discovered
Lhavheran-class AL

Cost: 4, Maintenance: 1/3, DV: 3, AS: 0, AF: 3, CR: 3, CC: 1, Notes: Assault, Atmospheric, Gunship, Non-Jump Capable. BP: 2
The Lhavheran is a small unit designed for two purposes--to land Union ground forces and to support the Gotorfiel with anti-fighter batteries, for which it is armed with the laser interceptor array instead of the particle interceptor array found on the Towrena and Shlaher
Thavheral-class EXL

Cost: 3, Maintenance: 2/4, DV: 3, AS: 0, AF: 4, CR: 3 CC: 1, Notes: Explorer (1), Gunship, Atmospheric. BP: 3
The Thavheral is best described as a set of long-range sensors and a hyperdrive with crew quarters stuck on, but it is effective at its job.
Skavheran-class FFL

Cost: 4, Maintenance: 1/3, DV: 3, AS: 5, AF: 1, CR: 3, CC: 1, Notes: Gunship, Atmospheric, Non-Jump Capable. BP: 3
The Skavheran is an effective light unit, found supporting the explorer fleets and providing some measure of speed for the lumbering Towrena and Shlaher
Ghalefor-class AB

Cost: 2, Maintenance: 1/6, DV: 1, AS: 4, AF: 1, CR: 2, CC: 1/6, Notes: Gunship, Atmospheric, Attack Boat, Non-Jump Capable. BP: 3
The Ghalefor provides even more firepower for the Union Navy
Mohetharl-class defence station

Cost: 5, Maintenance: 1/4, DV: 3, AS: 6, AF: 3
The Mohetharl is used to support Towrenan units should they find themselves in a defensive war.

FIGHTERS

Atarfiel: Class: MF, Cost: 1/2, Maintenance: 1/12, DV: 2, AS: 2, AF: 2

GROUND UNITS

Drop Troops: Cost: 3, Maintenance: 2/2, A: 3, D: 3, DFac: 3, ATR: 3, Marines
Union Division: Cost: 3, Maintenance: 2/3, A: 3, D: 3, DFac: d3, ATR: 4
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Lone Star Union

Except for a -1 in Engines and Ground Forces, all other Macro techs are at 0.

Also note that these names are what I designed the ships with and may be changed on Monday

SHIPS
Houston-class BC

Cost: 17, Maintenance: 3/2, DV: 15, AS: 14, AF: 9, CR: 12, CC: 4, Notes: Assault. BP: 8
The Houston is the slowest warship in known space, alongside the Austin and Dallas, but what it lacks in speed it makes up for with short-ranged firepower
Austin-class CG

Cost: 13, Maintenance: 3/2, DV: 12, AS: 12, AF: 4, CR: 9, CC: 4, Notes: Ballistic. BP: 6
The Austin is the only ballistic ship in the fleet and supports the fleet by tremendous salvoes of deadly rockets
Dallas-class CVS

Cost: 12, Maintenance: 3/2, DV: 11, AS: 10, AF: 7, CR: 9, CC: 4, Basing: 6 (Heavy), Notes: Carrier. BP: 6
Rayburn-class DD

Cost: 7, Maintenance: 2/4, DV: 5, AS: 7, AF: 4, CR: 5, CC: 2, Notes: Gunship. BP: 5
Amarillo-class EDD

Cost: 7, Maintenance: 2/4, DV: 5, AS: 0, AF: 7, CR: 5, CC: 2, Notes: Scout (1). BP: 2
San Antonio-class base

Cost: 28, Maintenance: 4/1, DV: 27, AS: 22, AF: 15, Basing: 12 (Heavy), Notes: Scout (1), Passengers (1), Carrier
FIGHTERS

Class: SHF, Cost: 1, Maintenance: 1/12, DV: 2, AS: 3, AF: 1
Last edited by murtalianconfederacy on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

After eleven turns, the introduction of seven new powers and a splinter colony means its taking a lot of paperwork to go through one turn, especially when one power has declared war on three powers. The newest power discovered, an INT-2 race that when activated went after the GHE, the Omazan Free Republic (the previous two were already fighting) and the USK. Add to that the Ikhanx deciding to teach the LSU a lesson after the LSU declared war, and the only power not at war is the Towrenan Union. The long and short of it is that I'm calling it a day with this campaign and restarting it, but I'm going to use a version of some of the rules Tyrel and others have used in their campaigns--namely, a reduction in the chance of activating new NPEs.
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

After eleven turns, the introduction of seven new powers
Wow, seven powers in 11 turns!? Where you using the default NPE activation rules in the CMC, or one of the alternatives I've seen posted? Anyway, I don't blame you for saying it's a wrap, that would a huge pile of turn orders to fill out.

-Will
"Ships and sail proper for the heavenly air should be fashioned. Then there will also be people, who do not shrink from the dreary vastness of space."
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

:shock:
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

murtalianconfederacy wrote:After eleven turns, the introduction of seven new powers and a splinter colony means its taking a lot of paperwork to go through one turn...
Man that is impressive! I think I am going to state the number of NPE empires that I want to deal with and assign their homeworld numbers ahead of time. If my exploration makes it to one of those 'magical' numbers, I'll start an NPE.

-Bren
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

Aw :( I was looking forward to seeing how this went! Still, that's a LOT of empires to be running, all at war too. I would probably start over also.

Here's to your next campaign!
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

wminsing wrote:
Wow, seven powers in 11 turns!? Where you using the default NPE activation rules in the CMC, or one of the alternatives I've seen posted? Anyway, I don't blame you for saying it's a wrap, that would a huge pile of turn orders to fill out.

-Will
Yep, the standard CMC activation. I was rolling 5s all the time for NPE activation...:)

Well, I can tell you that one power would have disappeared, the Lone Star Union. When the Ikhanx came knocking they had roughly parity, and a definite edge in fighters, but a Good readiness for the IC and a Disastrous readiness for the LSU meant that the primary strike arm, those deadly LSU fighters, rolled badly as well as the capital ships whereas the Ikhanx destroyed the Dallas strike carriers in turn one and the Xolof fighter wing really slammed home the advantage, tearing apart one Austin and crippling another.

I did think of a CM intervention whereby the OFR and GHE would have allied themselves in a Co-Belligerency to fight off the Alvosk, who would have steamrollered them both if the USK took a while to get up to speed (the Alvosk had just discovered Elmuntai and knew where the only Omazan colony--an outpost--was, and it was one jump from their major fleet base)
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Lately I have been playing with a modification to the NPE activations so that systems within 1 jump of a homeworld are at a -15% penalty, 2 jumps at -10% penalty, and 3 jumps at -5% penalty. This helps to curbe the appearance of empires on another's door step and give you a little bit of room to maneuver before you run into someone else.
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:Lately I have been playing with a modification to the NPE activations so that systems within 1 jump of a homeworld are at a -15% penalty, 2 jumps at -10% penalty, and 3 jumps at -5% penalty. This helps to curbe the appearance of empires on another's door step and give you a little bit of room to maneuver before you run into someone else.
That's not a bad idea either. I was going to make it so that at the best possible rolls, the first NPE was going to be ~4 jumps away, but the modifiers to the chance based on distance might be the way I go for my solo project...

-Bren
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Tyrel Lohr wrote:Lately I have been playing with a modification to the NPE activations so that systems within 1 jump of a homeworld are at a -15% penalty, 2 jumps at -10% penalty, and 3 jumps at -5% penalty. This helps to curbe the appearance of empires on another's door step and give you a little bit of room to maneuver before you run into someone else.
Hmm, an idea to consider...

I'd probably drop it to two jump lanes, go with a -10% for one jump away, -5% for two jumps away.