Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Charles Lewis wrote:Or did they... :twisted:
Huzzah for the Spam slayer!
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Thanks for babysitting the forums for us, Charlie! It is a big help. I haven't been here often enough to police the place :(
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

I find it disturbingly enjoyable. :shock: hehe
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

Xptgretw

Is he/her/it real..?
"Space is BIG, really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Nope. In the last week, I've deleted at least 8 spammer accounts. I just haven't gotten around to the latest one...yet.
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

sigh...four more. Including three using rebuild-iraq2007.com as their email domain. Pretty much all of the last dozen or so have been pushing drugs. I hope these are bots doing this, because if someone is actually wasting their time setting these up, I'd have to make a special request for the asteroid come hit us sooner rather than later. :roll:
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Charles Lewis wrote:sigh...four more. Including three using rebuild-iraq2007.com as their email domain. Pretty much all of the last dozen or so have been pushing drugs. I hope these are bots doing this, because if someone is actually wasting their time setting these up, I'd have to make a special request for the asteroid come hit us sooner rather than later. :roll:
There has got to be a better way than keeping the C*H*A*R*L*I*E-SPAM KILL BOT on full alert all the time. Can we do an approval process like we did on the Yahoo Group?

-Jay
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

The interesting part is that they seem to come in three's. The last dozen or so have been in groups of three sharing the same email domain before moving on to a new email domain (and corresponding url).
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Charles Lewis wrote:The interesting part is that they seem to come in three's. The last dozen or so have been in groups of three sharing the same email domain before moving on to a new email domain (and corresponding url).
Sounds like a triple redundancy "spambot" then, regardless keep up the good work.
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

With axe and sword we shall cleanse and purify.
"Space is BIG, really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

mwaschak wrote:
Charles Lewis wrote:sigh...four more. Including three using rebuild-iraq2007.com as their email domain. Pretty much all of the last dozen or so have been pushing drugs. I hope these are bots doing this, because if someone is actually wasting their time setting these up, I'd have to make a special request for the asteroid come hit us sooner rather than later. :roll:
There has got to be a better way than keeping the C*H*A*R*L*I*E-SPAM KILL BOT on full alert all the time. Can we do an approval process like we did on the Yahoo Group?

-Jay
I think I've switched that in the settings. I changed the email address for the admin to mine from Tyrel's so that the new account requests will come to me...I think.

We'll see how this goes, but hopefully it'll reign in the spammers, since I'm having to delete at least three a day now.
echoco
Commander
Commander

Post by echoco »

instead you'll have lotf of spam in yur e-mail :shock:
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Theoretically, it'll just be new account requests from SpamBots to be deleted. Gmail has a very good spam filter, so I'm not worried about any increased influx of spam in general.
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Charles Lewis wrote:Theoretically, it'll just be new account requests from SpamBots to be deleted. Gmail has a very good spam filter, so I'm not worried about any increased influx of spam in general.

Sounds like "fun" Charlie, keep up the good work!

-Mark