Advanced missile poses substantial new threat for U.S. Navy

Off-Topic Discussion
XSiberia
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by XSiberia »

Proceedings Magazine, a publication of the USNI, recently did a pretty good write up on this. I've linked it here. The bottom line: more bluff than bite, for the time being (largely because of guidance issues). Someone made a comment about if it was a nuke, you'd only have to get close To which I say that the ocean is big - really big - you just won't believe how vastly, hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to the ocean." :D

One statement from the link in the OP strikes me as funny, though, and below USNI's journalistic standards: "After spending the last decade placing an emphasis on building a fleet that could operate in shallow waters near coastlines, the U.S. Navy seems to have quickly changed its strategy over the past several months to focus on improving the capabilities of its deep sea fleet and developing anti-ballistic defenses."

Right. As if ship/weapon/sensor system aquisition programs that take years, if not decades, to come to fruition change in just a few months. :?