Look and Feel

Off-Topic Discussion
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Look and Feel

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

How does everyone feel about the look and feel of the forums site here? Anything that looks really out of sorts or that you think should be changed? Or is the layout something people can live with?

...of course, I am assuming everyone actually defaulted to the non-standard DAJ Glass theme and not subSilver. Hopefully that's the case!
StevetheERB
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by StevetheERB »

Maybe its just because its early, but I had trouble seeing the Register link. Obviously I found it, but it was just that its grey on the transparent part of the frame, which shows the star background.

But I like the planets and whatnot.
"There are 70 some Earth's spinnin' in this Verse, and the meek ain't inherited a one yet" - Malcolm Reynolds
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

Oh yes, I likes it. Planets is very nice.

Not really having trouble seeing the text. Its sometimes down to monitor gamma settings.
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

I like it, background and layout are nice and it has the VBAM "vibe" so all I have to say is good job!
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

So what does everyone think of the new logo? (You can see it at the top of the screen)
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

The site looks great, I like the look and feel.

The logo is much simpler now. Is that VBG's new official logo?

-Emiricol
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

logo

Post by MarkG88 »

I like the new logo, very sharp!
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

It's all but official. Tyrel redesigned the base logo for the MAS cover, and that started a conversation about needing a more "neutral" logo not tied to one particular product since we're starting to diversify a bit.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Yes, the original log didn't make sense in the context of the MAS cover.

I am thinking that this logo will be used as the new company logo from here on out, and the original logo will have a "Campaign System" text block added beneath it so that it can be used to denote products tied to the VBAM Campaign System.

This new logo also has the benefit of being easier to have put into clothing or other promotional materials. The matted galaxy on the old one was a bit problematic that way.
Iron Knight
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Knight »

Woohoo! I'm a much bigger fan of these type of forums than yahoo's. The new logo looks very sharp too.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Iron Knight wrote:Woohoo! I'm a much bigger fan of these type of forums than yahoo's. The new logo looks very sharp too.
Thanks! This was my first attempt to re-skin a phpBB install. I think it turned out okay overall. The top buttons are a bit faded, but I like the transparency effect.

As to web forums vs. mailing lists, it is easier to keep track of running conversations on a web forum, though oftentimes harder to get caught back up on a discussion if you are gone for awhile (whereas with e-mail you can scan through everything and delete if you don't see anything interesting).
Bandit
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Bandit »

I really like using forums as opposed to Yahoo groups since I always have some issue with yahoo groups. Recently it has been formating issues with Outlook and the lovely 1 day delay to get mail.

My only concern is how will this forum withstand the spammers? I know my own forums I have set up had to be locked down to fend off spam.

-Sean Martinez