ianstead
Commander
Commander

Missile, Rocket and Torpedoes

Post by ianstead »

Hello...

Is this thing on..

Ok simple discussion:

In a space environment what is a missile and how would a torpedoe be any different?

Energy and Kinetic?
What advantages and disadvantages have these two weapons have in space?

Ian
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Missile, Rocket and Torpedoes

Post by mwaschak »

ianstead wrote:Hello...

Is this thing on..

Ok simple discussion:

In a space environment what is a missile and how would a torpedoe be any different?

Energy and Kinetic?
What advantages and disadvantages have these two weapons have in space?

Ian
As I recall rockets are unguided but propelled. The real world difference between a missile and torpedo is obviously air vs water. In space I would gear torps towards cap shiips, and missiles to lighter craft missile. One would be better at tracking, the other at cracking armor and shields.

-Jay
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Usually, when thinking about the distinction between missiles and torpedoes, I usually see them as thus:

Missiles: Slower than torpedoes and with a typically lower yield, but with superior guidance systems. They also tend to have superior range vs. torpedoes.

Torpedoes: Faster than torpedoes and have a higher damage yield, but they don't have as sophisticated guidance systems and are more "point and shoot".

Now, this only applies to universes conceived out of my brain, so it isn't going to be universal.

As to Energy vs. Kinetic:

Energy weapons have the advantage in accuracy (light speed or near light speed movement) and that they don't leave dangerous bits of detritus floating around to hurt anything. They are more exotic, however, and in most threads I have read it seems like most realistic energy weapons would either be low-yield and short range for anti-missile duty, or else spinally mounted affairs.

Kinetic weaponry has the advantage of being able to spray junk metal and other goodies at the enemy. There is some issue with maintaining the conducting rails and the like, but to my mind it seems to have fewer headaches than energy weapons. The downside to Kinetics are that they *do* leave junk behind that could later be a detriment when Ore Freighter X301 collides with a railgun round that was fired 80 years ago during the Bok/Namar War.

In VBAM terms, the KEB arrangement does allow you to do some interesting thing with specialized weapon systems...
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

Thats fine, it pretty much fits with what I think sounds right.

I am a believer in 'bugger the science, as long as it sounds about right.'

I thought calling basically a big missile a torpedoe is good, as it defines it as a ship killer. Missiles damage systems, take out fighters. Torps total the ship.

Now who logically would have the edge on range? Kinetics or Energy.
I reckon Kinetics.

I like the idea of hitting old war junk!
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

I like Tyrel's take on it. Although with KEB I have to handwave some things :) But I have made energy weapons more "advanced" than kinetic ones in my source material. I need to revise some of my B category items fluff text, but that's a minor issue.

I think "Old War Junk" should be a random event. Hm...
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

Hi all, first post here.

I tend to use the term missile for any ballistic system with an average damage yield. Torpedo is interchangeable between energy weapons (like the plasma torpedo which I've sometimes used) and ballistic weapons with heavy damage potential. I use rockets if I want to imply that a race is not that advanced.
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

So pretty much everyones thinking about the same.

I've alway pictured Rockets the same. Pretty much unguided very close range. Mind you a Dumb Fire Missile in the Wing Commander universe could fit the bill there.

Yes rockets are an option for Low Tech worlds or a cheap option for a Hitech race.

Energy Torpedoes
are a bit of an odd one, kind of a mix between energy and ballistic. Basically guided energy packets with ammo contraints and usually some guidance.
Last edited by ianstead on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Hi all, first post here.
I don't think I'm the only Brit here (unless I've got really confused again)

:D

I was think Aerotech/BT is what influenced me in someways.

You have LRM and SRM, every vessel can carry them, then you have Naval Missiles eg Barracuada, these are the Ship Killers.
SRM and LRMs can destroy a ship but you need LOTS.
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Hah. Hah. Hah.

/sarcasm :)
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

:)

Taunton isn;t it?
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Yep. County town of Somerset, the only team to win 10 games in Division Two of four-day cricket, 50 or so points ahead of the second-place team. Expect England to call up Trescothick though, drain him of his playing capability and then let us have him back, like they did with Caddick a few years ago. But hopefully they dont, and with Trescothick and Langer as the opening batsmen, we should at least regain our place as a great cricketing team.

(yes, thats the only exciting thing to have happened to Somersets sport last year...:D)
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

Well I know more about Taunton that I did before. I usually think cider and Minehead oh and the wife got a piercing Taunton years ago! :D

Wigan not much happening here, well where still in the Premiership (just)
Just unveiled a George Formby statue in the new shopping arcade (wow I hear you say) Oh then theres the rugby.

It rains alot and we have a pier....

Originally I'm from sunny Southport, now that is dull for seaside resort...

See we go from missiles to where we live.! (g)

Oh I'm a Lieutenant now! Of course we'll prononce it Leftenant. :)
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

ianstead wrote:Well I know more about Taunton that I did before. I usually think cider and Minehead oh and the wife got a piercing Taunton years ago! :D

Just unveiled a George Formby statue in the new shopping arcade (wow I hear you say) Oh then theres the rugby.

And do ya'll pronounce it that way cuz you drive on the WRONG side of the road? *said in fake Southern drawl* :wink: :lol:

Since you fellows are chatting about home and hearth, I'm from eastern Ohio, a little town called Tippecanoe (renamed in honor of the battle of Tippecanoe after William H. Harrison was elected president) in Harrison County (ditto). Our claim to fame is George Custer and Clarke Gable were both born and raised here.
Last edited by MarkG88 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

MarkG88 wrote: Since you fellows are chatting about home and hearth, I'm from eastern Ohio, a little town called Tippecanoe (renamed in honor of the battle of Tippecanoe after William H. Harrison was elected president) in Harrison County (ditto). Our claim to fame is George Custer and Clarke Gable were both born and raised here.
<Salutes Ohio>
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

ianstead wrote:Well I know more about Taunton that I did before. I usually think cider and Minehead oh and the wife got a piercing Taunton years ago! :D

It'll take a while for me to gear up to your level though...:)

At least Wigan are in the Premiership, Taunton is in the 9th tier of English football...

The only thing that could be said to be interesting here is that we had that bike race thing passing through here a couple of weeks ago. I only remember it because there was a massive crash with the bikes 200 yards from the finish line. Typical, we get in the news for cyclists... :roll: :lol: