Tactical System Integration Poll

General Discussion

Do you use a tactical system?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:26 pm

No. CSCR all the way, baby!
44%
Yes, but only for ship design. CSCR for battle resolution.
25%
Yes, but only for critical/interesting fights. Still use the CSCR for some battles.
19%
Yes, all fights resolved tactically. Never or almost never use the CSCR.
13%

Total votes: 16

Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Tactical System Integration Poll

Post by Charles Lewis »

We're curious how many people use a tactical system with their VBAM games.
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Wish I had time for lots of tactical games, but it just isn't realistic anymore :(

To be fair, a lot of strategic games suck at generating entertaining tactical battles - it isn't a lot of fun playing through lots of very one-sided games (and players generally have a lot of incentive for making battles very one-sided). So often it's simply easier to focus on the empire-aspects of the game, and playing battles out very simply and quickly,

I'm getting the impression that the STrek supplement breaks this mould slightly because big battles will push the tension up, but I'm guessing that players will still want to skirt the fringes of excess to ensure victory,
Gareth Lazelle
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Because of the much lower ship density in the Local Scale, it has the potential to generate a lot of duels of small squadron engagements that are eminently suitable for tactical resolution.

But you're right, most VBAM fights would not be a lot of fun to play out. That said, all the battles (or almost all) the battles in the Stars Divided playtest (which was used to establish the "official" history) were resolved in Starmada.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
MarkNorfolk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MarkNorfolk »

I'm a 'never use it' kind of guy.

I got attracted to VBAM because it's a campaign system and so that's what I/we use it for. I have to say I rolled my eyes and thought "What's going on here" when I read through the CSCR...it's not as if it's a quick resolution for unworthy engagements or where one side vastly outnumbers the other.

Cheers
Mark
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

Use Starmada to create ships, CSCR to resolve battles. I haven't been able to game at all this year and am trying to put a game together so that I can have a game of SX before the year ends. If I resolved all battles with VBAM:SX I'd be half-way through only one campaign this year...:)
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
Chyll
Commander
Commander

Post by Chyll »

I have used a tactical system for most of the battles in my player run campaign. I vacilate for solo games.

I like both options... but find CSCR a tad cumbersome and run back to tactical for simplicity.
No man is wise enough by himself.
- Plautus
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

I like the idea of the CSCR, but I rarely use it. When I first started out it was just easier to run it in a tactical system. The CSCR takes a lot of work in terms of prep and resolution that I've never truly gotten use to.

I think the perfect CSCR is the one that is computer controlled. If I could just translate all the ships into an excel sheet, start a macro that spits out the results, I'd probably use it a lot more.

Just my thoughts
-Bren
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

I'll second that - MRiddles CSCR program is great, but not exactly user-friendly to set-up, however it is exactly the sort of tool I'd find useful, if my current campaign didn't have special-rules that preclude its use :(

(http://www.rsolutionsnc.com/auto_battle_resolver/)
Gareth Lazelle