VBAM + Starmada: Admiralty Edition

General Discussion
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

VBAM + Starmada: Admiralty Edition

Post by gambler »

Hey guys... Can someone provide some information on what's going to happen regarding the VBAM: The Starmada Edition book? Will there be an update to the Admiralty Edition, and will it be a separate stand alone product or will it be an update to the current product? ie, if it's a new product entirely I'll hold off buying it, but if it's an update (online for instance) then I'll pick up the earlier copy.

Thanks.
--
The cake is a lie.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Hi Gambler!

Well we unfortunately found out about the new version of Starmada when everyone else did, which means we are months behind in developing a working version. We are very fortunate that some of the fans were able to put together a very nice working conversion system to handle the new Starmada conversion. In fact there is a decent one in the Yahoo mailing list including a new ship construction sheet.
Either way we plan to make the update material freely available, so if you have the current book, or are planning to buy the new book, then you won't have to buy anything new. The first book took us some time to get right because we tested, and tested everything. From what I can tell there are not many campaign hurdles to go from StarmadaX to AE.

-Jay
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

As Jay mentioned, we found out about the new Starmada edition about a month before it went up for sale. By that point we were already committed to other projects, so we haven't had any development time set aside to work to produce a new version of the VBAM: Starmada Edition rules.

Speaking for myself, part of the problem is that, with our current work schedules, we haven't had any time to try and learn the new rules to make informed decisions as to how rules should be changed.

Whichever one of us gets our projects finished first will probably shift over to Starmada Edition revisions.

-Tyrel
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

Whatever happens, I'm sticking with S:X. I can easily write up some draft rules to allow S:AE options to be used in S:X (I especially like the idea of dual mode weapons), plus I've got a ton of house rules devised for VBAM:SX that would take me a while to convert.
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it