Good to see it here

Discuss the tactics and strategy of operating your own personal mercenary air squadron. Pilots, to your planes!
jygro
Commander
Commander

Good to see it here

Post by jygro »

After playing an initial playtest, I am glad to see it on the scope here. I might have to look through the current rules since it had some cool ideas.

-Bren
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Good to see it here

Post by mwaschak »

jygro wrote:After playing an initial playtest, I am glad to see it on the scope here. I might have to look through the current rules since it had some cool ideas.

-Bren
Thanks Bren. The final copy is off to layout right now. Charlie is busily working on the WW:II Edition, and I am working on that map based expansion we talked about. And that is before we even talk about the space version.

-Jay
Iron Knight
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Knight »

MAS is set in modern times, right? hmm... I wonder if I can adapt it to Area 88/U.N. Squadron.
Garland

Prepare today for the demands of tomorrow. Plan your move. - Fortune Cookie Nov. 6
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Iron Knight wrote:MAS is set in modern times, right? hmm... I wonder if I can adapt it to Area 88/U.N. Squadron.
Yes, and that does sound like a crazy time! If you want to give that a try I would be happy to help. Do you have data on the alien aircraft (IIRC).

-Jay
Iron Knight
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Knight »

I will have to try when I finish my current projects. I knew MAS reminded me of something but I could't figure it out until I ran across some Area 88 stuff while reorganizing my DVD's (to be honest the video game was much better than the show (links for those who haven't seen em)).

Oddly I can't really call myself a fan of anime but a few shows have been pretty good idea generators.
Last edited by Iron Knight on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garland

Prepare today for the demands of tomorrow. Plan your move. - Fortune Cookie Nov. 6
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Iron Knight wrote: Oddly I can't really call myself a fan of anime but a few shows have been pretty good idea generators.
Oh right. Ironically a playtester did mention this, and pointed me to the Wiki article. It is anime about a mercenary squadron. Yeah, let's try it sometime!

For my part I have only seen Cowboy Bebop, which was an excellent story.

-Jay
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Jay, about the only difference between MAS and Area 88 is that the pilots work for a mercenary air force hired by a middle eastern country in the middle of a civil war. A pilot has a three year contract that he can buy out for $1.5 million. Of course, his ammo, replacements planes, etc. all count against his reaching that target number.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Charles Lewis wrote:Jay, about the only difference between MAS and Area 88 is that the pilots work for a mercenary air force hired by a middle eastern country in the middle of a civil war. A pilot has a three year contract that he can buy out for $1.5 million. Of course, his ammo, replacements planes, etc. all count against his reaching that target number.
I suppose there is a set group of antagonists as well who might represent some preset foes in the campaign missions. Otherwise it is just some money tweaking from what I see.

-Jay
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

That and the focus would be on the individual pilots rather than the squadron as a whole.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

mwaschak wrote: Thanks Bren. The final copy is off to layout right now. Charlie is busily working on the WW:II Edition, and I am working on that map based expansion we talked about. And that is before we even talk about the space version.

-Jay
Is it going to be playable with 1 player easily? I know that we had talked about it, but I haven't seen the rule set in a while.

-Bren
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

jygro wrote: Is it going to be playable with 1 player easily? I know that we had talked about it, but I haven't seen the rule set in a while.

-Bren
Yeah, we wrote an "autopilot" section for solo play to control the various behaviors of aggressors that may be encountered. There is also a campaign and mission generator.

We broke the game mode into varying types of play depending on how many players and MAS you want. So you can go against your friends, or fly with them.

-Jay
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

Awesome!

Nothing is better than a game you can play when you're alone.. *sigh*
-Bren
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

jygro wrote:Awesome!

Nothing is better than a game you can play when you're alone.. *sigh*
-Bren
Solo gaming, as well as PBEM (where I get most of my gaming in), is a time honored tradition :) .

-Jay
galvindane
Cadet
Cadet

Post by galvindane »

jygro wrote:After playing an initial playtest, I am glad to see it on the scope here. I might have to look through the current rules since it had some cool ideas.

-Bren
Yes you are absolutely right. And i am also glad to came on this scope......The only consensus reached is that several people would like Whittaker in charge.

Furthermore refusing to accept the decision of the council on any issue is completely unacceptable.
r4 games