Some question about opposition aircraft

Discuss the tactics and strategy of operating your own personal mercenary air squadron. Pilots, to your planes!
Crajon
Cadet
Cadet

Some question about opposition aircraft

Post by Crajon »

I am doing an campaign using island of ARAGON , a fictional country that JRTC uses to train troops , what I need to know is what type of aircraft would an people's democratic republic use . I thought about Soviet style aircraft but how advance ? Mig-23's or Mig- 17's ?
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Some question about opposition aircraft

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Given the communist government, I think older Soviet/Russian planes are probably a good bet. After a quick read of the Aragon setup, I would be inclined to say up to mid-80s era Soviet surplus. Mostly older airframes, plus a handful of slightly later era Soviet equipment that they are having to actively scavenge parts to keep in the air -- basically bumping the rarity for those newer planes up a level. Maybe a limited quantity of Chinese jets, too?
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
Crajon
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Crajon »

Thanks for the in put .
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

You're welcome, hopefully some other people will chime in over the holiday weekend.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
theCarthaginian
Ensign
Ensign

Post by theCarthaginian »

Crajon wrote:I am doing an campaign using island of ARAGON , a fictional country that JRTC uses to train troops , what I need to know is what type of aircraft would an people's democratic republic use . I thought about Soviet style aircraft but how advance ? Mig-23's or Mig- 17's ?
Using the MAS core aircraft, I'd think something like this if your conflict is taking place in the 'here and now':

Code: Select all

PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF ATLANTICA
1.) MiG-29:
the stalwart defender of any worker's paradise in the 1990's; you can play this aircraft type two ways (a) the well-maintained 'elite' squadron that has been the focus of their air force's efforts, with all aircraft in excellent flying condition [at the expense of the rest of the force] OR (b) the remains of a once-glorious force that is now kept aloft by cannibalizing their brethren, leaving a large number of 'hanger queens' and only a few capable aircraft, supplemented by older types.
2.) CAC/PAC JF-17 or Chengdu J-10:
both good options if you're assuming that your nation has decided to 'modernize' recently, and the ChiComs are their best source of hardware. Since this is a new design, it isn't available in large numbers but spares are readily available so you can keep them flying easier than the Soviet designs. These have been marketed to nations like Pakistan and Iran, with Pakistan fielding a sizable force of JF-17's.
3.) MiG-21: 
the standard 'buy-in-bulk' aircraft of East Bloc, this pinnacle of 1960's tech is available in vast numbers... with new-build spare parts still available from the PRC and India! They aren't as flashy or prestigious as newer types, and they do sacrifice in capability somewhat, but as Lenin said 'quantity has a quality all its own.' You can have a larger available force with this choice.
4.) Su-25
yes, Virginia, it can carry the AA-8! They are fat, ugly and slow, but the Sovs built lots of them... and former republics can sell them off as 'multi-role' aircraft to buyers needing to pad their forces. Their excellent air-to-ground capabilities mean they would be a necessity if you're planning to invade your neighbor. They would also be good for support strikes for the 140th SOB deployed in enemy territory.
5.) MiG-17:
:shock: No. Just NO, man. These are for training your pilots in how to not crash your *important* aircraft. IF you are making an extended campaign of it, and IF you are keeping track of losses, you might use them as replacements for the Su-25's in late-game ground attack missions... but not in an air-to-air role under any circumstances outside of self-defense.
I would consider the MiG-23 as a viable MiG-21 replacement... but the MiG-23 would be more maintenance-intensive, and thus more money-intensive. This would mean fewer units available overall, which lowers your combat effectiveness. This is just me though, YMMV.

This is a question that I hope that Brush Wars will make a bit easier to answer. :D
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

theCarthaginian wrote: This is a question that I hope that Brush Wars will make a bit easier to answer. :D
This is actually a good time to discuss this. This is a nice fan made supplement that so far has tested well and we are trying to get all the pieces together for release. It adds a lot of nice elements to the game for anyone who enjoys MAS. Now that 2e and WAP are out the door I have had more time to focus on it.

All the best,
Jay