Controlling a System

Blue? Green? Red? Refuse? It's time to talk about rules for a new community edition of the VBAM rules!
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Controlling a System

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

We know that having a colony in a system is enough to gain control of a system, but should there be any other way to establish de facto ownership of a system? I was messing around with trying to use the presence of a base of sufficient size as a way of doing this, but the requirement could just as easily be that you have a certain threshold of military presence in the system.

Another idea I just had is that you could spend Intel to claim a system, similar to how you pay gold to purchase a tile in the modern Civ games. The cost could be based on the Capacity, RAW, or some combination of the two. That way you'd be paying a resource (in the form of Intel) to "annex" the system into your empire.

I'm not sure that wouldn't be just a needless addition of complexity, though. But I know that we need some decent way for an empire to say "hey, I own this place now." Of course, with convoys being able to colonize sans Census, that might just be the easiest solution to the problem. If you want to control a system, send a convoy on over there and set up an outpost!
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Re: Controlling a System

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

I'm kinda liking the Intel idea--make it dependent on distance so you can easily claim a system right next door, but it costs a lot to claim a system a long way away.
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
BroAdso
Commander
Commander

Re: Controlling a System

Post by BroAdso »

I like the idea that there are three ways to control a system without having Census there:

1) Place an Outpost in the system. A convoy may always choose to convert itself to an Outpost as an action during Movement Orders. Outposts are ground units with an ATR of 10, a DX of D2, and no other stats. Only systems with an Outpost on them can then have a Census transported to reside there.

2) Build 10EP or more worth of orbital bases in a system. (5 defense satellites, 1 CB sized command base)

3) Land 8EP or more worth of ground troops in a system. (two medium ground units)