Landings & Deployments

Blue? Green? Red? Refuse? It's time to talk about rules for a new community edition of the VBAM rules!
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Landings & Deployments

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

There is something of an order of operations issue with Landings & Deployments. In the 1E rules, this happens during the Ground Combat Phase so that troops can land before calculating the effects of 3.6.5.7 Disruption of Planetary Economy. This is also when all other cargo is embarked/disembarked, even though the rules for moving units as cargo are covered in the Movement Phase.

With Galaxies, would it make more sense to move all of that to the Movement Phase? This would keep the order of operation mostly the same, with the exception that troops that didn't invade this turn won't be able to actually land until the Movement Phase next turn. It still prevents a unit from being loaded and unloaded on the same turn, as then a ship that wants to load or unload cargo would have to stay at the same location the entire turn (by adding a spot rule to the Landings & Deployment rule in Movement Phase that a unit cannot both move and embark/disembark on the same turn).

How do you feel is the easiest or most logical way of approaching this chicken/egg problem?
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
BroAdso
Commander
Commander

Re: Landings & Deployments

Post by BroAdso »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:There is something of an order of operations issue with Landings & Deployments. In the 1E rules, this happens during the Ground Combat Phase so that troops can land before calculating the effects of 3.6.5.7 Disruption of Planetary Economy. This is also when all other cargo is embarked/disembarked, even though the rules for moving units as cargo are covered in the Movement Phase.

With Galaxies, would it make more sense to move all of that to the Movement Phase? This would keep the order of operation mostly the same, with the exception that troops that didn't invade this turn won't be able to actually land until the Movement Phase next turn. It still prevents a unit from being loaded and unloaded on the same turn, as then a ship that wants to load or unload cargo would have to stay at the same location the entire turn (by adding a spot rule to the Landings & Deployment rule in Movement Phase that a unit cannot both move and embark/disembark on the same turn).

How do you feel is the easiest or most logical way of approaching this chicken/egg problem?
I think having it be a Movement Phase action on the part of the Ground Unit involved is the best way to go. It does slow the pace of things down a bit - I have to move to a system on turn 1 and win a battle to stay there before I can order the troops in my fleet to land on turn 2 - but that seems an acceptable price to pay for a clean solution.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Landings & Deployments

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

BroAdso wrote:I think having it be a Movement Phase action on the part of the Ground Unit involved is the best way to go. It does slow the pace of things down a bit - I have to move to a system on turn 1 and win a battle to stay there before I can order the troops in my fleet to land on turn 2 - but that seems an acceptable price to pay for a clean solution.
You have the one exception where troops that invade can land outside of the Movement Phase (if they manage to establish a beachhead), but they still aren't embarking and disembarking on the same turn. It just takes time to get troops and cargo loaded to move, which I like. Allowing the actions to happen on the same turn leads to a strange teleporting effect where your convoys seem like they are just beaming people from one place to the other. :oops:
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]