Random Events

Blue? Green? Red? Refuse? It's time to talk about rules for a new community edition of the VBAM rules!

Do you want Random Events to be a standard or optional rule in Galaxies?

Yes, I want it to be a standard rule.
40%
No, I want it to remain an optional rule.
60%

Total votes: 5

Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Random Events

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

This is a quick poll for us to gather some info about whether or not Random Events should be made standard or else remain an optional rule. The current rate of random events based on my testing would be 5% per empire per turn (a "20" on a d20, basically).

There are advantages and disadvantages to either direction. Random Events are a great way for us to add more dynamism to the game and keep things rolling, but it is by the very nature random and one player could end up being affected more often than others by the cruel fate of the dice.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
aelius
Commander
Commander

Re: Random Events

Post by aelius »

I say make it optional because it is not required for the core rules and people who don't like it aren't going to use it anyway.
And fair disclosure, I like the rule and use it.
4. Killing is not too good for my enemies
Evil Overlords Survival Guide
BroAdso
Commander
Commander

Re: Random Events

Post by BroAdso »

I like it, but haven't used it because I am still in my first few campaigns. It's the perfect example of a bolt-on optional rule though - adds a good bit to the experience, but isn't needed and can be left out for early players.