Federation vs. Klingon Playtest

Other Source Material and Settings
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

mwaschak wrote:The bravest F5W in the entire fleet that is! I am curious to see how this one works out myself, especially with the new rule adaptations.
Hmm, after rereading the turn update it seems I was mistaken about the location of the sensor contact. I had thought it was in the north. Instead it was near Delphi. Things could get very interesting there during turns 3 and 4.

Let's see what happens.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Rainer wrote:
Let's see what happens.
Especially with the new dash movement rules! I think we may see more risks taken in deep space to protect the border.

-Jay
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Turn 3: Klingon/Federation Border

In system known as Battlecreek (to the recently discovered local population a mix of Klingon and Kzinti settlers: Census 2), the Klingons have encountered a Federation force of unknown type and number. Rainer will have to carefully plan his next steps for the encounter.

-Jay
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

Since most of my fleet is there (1 D6, 3 F5) I will take a closer look. Then it might be time to convince the locals to rejoin our glorious empire.
terryoc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by terryoc »

Yes, get out there and save them before the Federation's lawyers cheat the colonists out of their own planet!

Just be careful! Remember, "Shoot the Klingon in the back" is the first tactic taught in Star Fleet Academy! :lol:
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

Exactly. We cannot have the Feds oppressing poor border planets. After all, there would be no one left for me to oppress. :twisted:

Besides, isn't the first lesson "When in doubt, use more Photons!"?

Also I completed my first minor objective. The next mission is to pick up an officer lost in space. Since I would need to get 10+ result with a D6 + lab points and all I have in the vicinity is my lone F5W he will be awarded a posthumous red shirt.
terryoc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by terryoc »

Yeah, the lack of labs tends to hurt the Klingons in situations like that.

When yhou said "D6" I thought you meant the ship, not the die roll :)
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

Sorry, that should be a d6 die roll + lab points >= 10.

My lone D6 is of course otherwise engaged.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Rainer wrote:Sorry, that should be a d6 die roll + lab points >= 10.

My lone D6 is of course otherwise engaged.
That is a tough order to follow for the Klingons. It does make me wonder if the ships on the universal list could be used to fill this niche, like a science contractor or something the Klingons could recruit. That is a difficult mission for your commanders to heap on you so early.

With that said, the Federation force has issued a general retreat from the Klingon force.

-Jay
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

Cowards.

If I cannot catch them, I am seriously tempted to follow them into Delphi next turn.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Rainer wrote:Cowards.

If I cannot catch them, I am seriously tempted to follow them into Delphi next turn.
Given you commitment to the scenario you can at least give chase in a pursuit scenario at this point. Or follow them, they can't run forever.

-Jay
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

The Fed force was only a lone FF. I've decided to let it go and just take my mission VP for the scenario as I've got bigger fish to fry.

The Klingon settlers in the system seem to think they can stay independent. A mistake that will soon be corrected. My task force will begin bombarding the system while some ground troops will be recruited for the invasion.
terryoc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by terryoc »

I am finding this campaign report really interesting.

As for the ground troops, didn't you disband some ground units a couple of turns ago?
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

Yes but they were regular infantry and therefore not that useful in an invasion scenario with limited assault shipping. If I really need to do this the hard way, then better troops will have to be used.
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

Bombardment has dropped enemy morale by 1 but there are still holding out. We'll see if they still want to remain independent if their morale drops further.

BTW the rules are currently about 140 pages of text (and some sections will still have to added). The objective generator needs a lot of space though.