Federation Admiral Public Update

Other Source Material and Settings
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Federation Admiral Public Update

Post by mwaschak »

zyffyr wrote:Currently listed as "Summer 2014". Not holding my breath though.
Yeah, I wouldn't. I think the original was "Fall 2009". Of course, this was before the "Jay did this and that wrong" that cropped up in 2012.

Fortunately we have a better plan for recovering this year; Less waiting and more rolling with the punches.

Thanks!
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Update from yesterday's "Plan for 2014" blog entry from ADB...

FEDERATION ADMIRAL, the long-awaited campaign manual, will be released this year. It is being structured to work with any of the four tactical games.
darbycmcd
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by darbycmcd »

Very interesting! Any comment from VBAM???
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

darbycmcd wrote:Very interesting! Any comment from VBAM???
Yeah, I am not sure exactly what to say. We hope to see FA in print for sure.

-Jay
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Huzzah and congratulations Jay, I know its been a long, long wait to see this fine product get published.
darbycmcd
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by darbycmcd »

I love that he says "finally fought our way to Chapter 4"... so all these YEARS of BS from him and he hadn't even made it to chapter 4 to see what he was complaining about :roll:
Congrats, hopefully this comes out ok, I think it can be big.
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

I think it was suspected all along that it was largely down to SVC's antipathy to any kind of campaign system that wasn't F&E, and that the deal with VBAM was largely a legacy inherited from Ken Burnside's time with the company.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Shadow Warrior wrote:I think it was suspected all along that it was largely down to SVC's antipathy to any kind of campaign system that wasn't F&E, and that the deal with VBAM was largely a legacy inherited from Ken Burnside's time with the company.
Quite possibly. I have personally never dealt with Ken so I can't speak to that aspect. At the time, 2007 IIRC, there was a great deal of enthusiasm for a campaign for just FC. I should dig up those old emails now that I think about it.

-Jay
darbycmcd
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by darbycmcd »

That is an interesting point. You were talking about teaming up with a tactical system, now that for some reason it doesn't seem to be going with Starmada :(
But Burnside's system, at least Squadron Strike, seems quite flexible. He is working up a homebrew setting, but there might be some scope for joint action there. And he seems like a really really nice guy.
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Looks like publication of Federation Admiral in 2014 was yet another false hope. ADB has just published their 2014/15 schedule and it is nowhere to be seen. On to 2016!

To be released in 2014-2015

Traveller Prime Directive Core Rulebook
A Call to Arms Star Fleet: Book One Revision Two
F&E Minor Empires, SKU 3214, price $TBA
F&E Fighter Operations, 2014 update.
A new Starmada book for both editions.
New starships for the 2500 (1/3125) range including Tholian PC, DD, CA, TK5, DN; Klingon B10; Orion BR, DW, BC, BCH, DN.
New starships for the 2400 (1/3788) range including heavy war destroyers and the jumbo freighter.
Tribbles vs. Klingons (assuming Kickstarter works!)
F&E Fighter Operations update 2014, SKU 3203
SFB Hydran Master Starship Book
Federation Commander Reference Starship Book
Captain's Log #50, SKU 5740
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

I noticed that too. Considering I wrote it back in 2006/2007, we are fast approaching a system that is going to be a decade old.

I am well on my way to building an objective system for 2e. It is built with a lot of what FA was supposed to deliver with the local campaign rules.

Sorry guys. I gave it a shot!

-Jay
Shadow Warrior wrote:Looks like publication of Federation Admiral in 2014 was yet another false hope. ADB has just published their 2014/15 schedule and it is nowhere to be seen. On to 2016!

To be released in 2014-2015

Traveller Prime Directive Core Rulebook
A Call to Arms Star Fleet: Book One Revision Two
F&E Minor Empires, SKU 3214, price $TBA
F&E Fighter Operations, 2014 update.
A new Starmada book for both editions.
New starships for the 2500 (1/3125) range including Tholian PC, DD, CA, TK5, DN; Klingon B10; Orion BR, DW, BC, BCH, DN.
New starships for the 2400 (1/3788) range including heavy war destroyers and the jumbo freighter.
Tribbles vs. Klingons (assuming Kickstarter works!)
F&E Fighter Operations update 2014, SKU 3203
SFB Hydran Master Starship Book
Federation Commander Reference Starship Book
Captain's Log #50, SKU 5740
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

mwaschak wrote:I noticed that too. Considering I wrote it back in 2006/2007, we are fast approaching a system that is going to be a decade old.

I am well on my way to building an objective system for 2e. It is built with a lot of what FA was supposed to deliver with the local campaign rules.

Sorry guys. I gave it a shot!

-Jay
No need for apologies, Jay, it was a very tall order. SVC would seem to be a challenging individual to work with and he made it no secret that he personally disliked VBAM and saw no need for any campaign system that wasn't F&E. In any case, as you said, you did your best, so maybe it's time to rule a line under it and move on to 2e?
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Shadow Warrior wrote:
No need for apologies, Jay, it was a very tall order. SVC would seem to be a challenging individual to work with and he made it no secret that he personally disliked VBAM and saw no need for any campaign system that wasn't F&E. In any case, as you said, you did your best, so maybe it's time to rule a line under it and move on to 2e?
Thanks. They are sitting on more work than that if you include the Merchants of the Federation system we did for them too. I think you can still see some pics of it on BGG.

2e has been getting most of my development attention as of late. There isn't much that we did in FA that can't end up in 2e since Tyrel made the tech system so flexible and we have at least one very good tactical game cross overs in the works.

-Jay
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

It's good to hear that ultimately your work won't be wasted and will see print somewhere. Obviously Merchants of the Federation is so far down the list it doesn't even get an occasional mention.

Obviously one doesn't want to diss ADB too much as it's one of the longest running niche game companies in the world and owes it all to SVC, so one must assume they are doing something right. You can't help but feel that so much more could have been been achieved (given their unique status of having an in perpetuity Trek license) without SVC's OCD. On the other hand, maybe that is the secret of their success? Find one thing you do and do it well.

Anyway, time to move on. FA might happen one day, but it probably won't. So let's make the best of what we have.