Federation Admiral Public Update

Other Source Material and Settings
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Federation Admiral Public Update

Post by mwaschak »

Emiricol wrote:Progress continues, and all i can tell you is that it is simply amazing. That same feeling i had when i saw 1 E? Like that, only more. It's nearing completion... And worth the two year wait.
Right! We are getting there. All of my free development time these days is going to reading and testing the updates for 2e. Lately that has been exploration, a small tech change, and some new ideas Tyrel kicked out for Intel. We will work on posting more regular updates but we have made some serious strides over the summer.

-Jay
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

SVC has just published ADB's release schedule through to September 2013 on his day blog...

http://federationcommander.blogspot.co. ... chive.html

- November 2012: Federation Commander Reinforcements Attack, Booster #34, Booster #35, Booster #36, Battleships Starmada Nova, Battleships Starmada Admiral

- December 2012: Nothing

- January 2013: Captain's Log #46, Traveller Prime Directive Core

- February 2013: Star Fleet Marines Last Stand

- March 2013: Star Fleet Battles Module C6

- April 2013: Traveller Prime Directive Klingons

- May 2013: Captain's Log #47

- June 2013: Federation Commander Borders of Madness

- July 2013: SFB Product TBD

- Aug 2013: Traveller Prime Directive Romulans

As you can see there is no mention of Federation Admiral. I would expect what he has listed there to realistically eat up the entire year, so I would say Q1/2014 is the absolute earliest we're looking at.

:cry:
Last edited by Shadow Warrior on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Shadow Warrior wrote:SVC has just published ADB's release schedule through to September 2013 on his day blog...

http://federationcommander.blogspot.co. ... chive.html

As you can see there is no mention of Federation Admiral. I would expect what he has listed there to realistically eat up the entire year, so I would say Q1/2014 is the absolute earliest we're looking at.

:cry:
Sorry guys - offline with the hurricane (still no power).

I have no idea what ADB plans to do with FA at this point. I have been told they are committed to publishing it, but I still see lots of other projects creep ahead each year.

-Jay
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

"We are committed to publishing this" is, I am afraid, publisher speak for "we have no idea when we will get around to this, but our aspiration is that it will be before the sun runs out of hydrogen."

Having seen the 2013 schedule I would expect this will not even be looked at again (by SVC) until 2014. I would think Prime Directive Traveller and the Kickstarter Tribbles thing will eat up all the available spare time for next year.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Right. Personally I am not sure what bumps a project ahead of FA. I know they have scheduled releases they need to maintain.

-Jay
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Given that SVC has made no secret of his dislike for FA, I imagine the mere existence of another project would jump it in the queue ahead of FA.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Shadow Warrior wrote:Given that SVC has made no secret of his dislike for FA, I imagine the mere existence of another project would jump it in the queue ahead of FA.
He has put a lot of work in to it too, even this year.

I will reopen the contingency plan dialog with Tyrel and see if we can do something for you guys sooner rather than later.

-Jay
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Ooooh, that sounds exciting.

I did post a question on the FC board asking if there was any likelihood of a 2013 release but it got no answer.

If we're looking at 2014 or beyond (and that's seems to be distinctly likely now) it would be extremely cool to see a VBAM release of, say, the local campaign rules (with no FC content naturally).
Asguard101
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Asguard101 »

How different is FA from 2E and/or 1st edition?
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

Shadow Warrior wrote:Ooooh, that sounds exciting...it would be extremely cool to see a VBAM release of, say, the local campaign rules (with no FC content naturally).
This. It has always been more exciting for me than the FC.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

FA is really what lead Tyrel and I to explore the option of a second edition. We started going over what we wanted in an ADB based campaign and it lead to some tweaks that would eventually work its way in to 2e. While he stayed with 2e development, I went with FA. Splitting our efforts may not have been the best decision since 2e is 99% complete and FA is still a long way off. It is almost like version 1.5 though since it shares many key characteristics with 1e.

With that said work has begun on a local campaign and objective based system for 2e. Tyrel made 2e flexible enough that I can make all kinds of crazy missions!

-Jay
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

I thought FA was a nice product (I was one of the playtesters)and will be a good product when it finally gets published. I am really looking forward to VBAM 2.0, I've not had opportunity to play a game in a long time so the itch is there :)
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

I think that's the answer. Full steam ahead on VBAM 2e and VBAM local campaign rules.If FA ever sees print (and I'm not convinced it ever will) all well and good, but that's definitely not something to count on or wait for.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

After talking with Jay this weekend, I think the immediate plans while we wait for FA development to advance on the ADB side is to get 2E finished (that project is beginning its final playtest phase this month) and then Jay will adapt the objective/mission system from FA to fit 2E. I don't have an ETA on when that project will be ready, but any advancements or breakthroughs that come from it should be able to be back-ported to FA.

We're still hopeful that FA development will resume, but we also recognize the importance of getting the Second Edition of our flagship product out the door in the next few months.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

That's great news, Tyrel! I know I'm not alone in my immoral lust for a VBAM 2E version of this. "Don't bother me while I'm cleaning my room," when this gets published.

/end movie reference.